View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 11:00 PM   #25
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post

I asked "didn't you see the water and the fire flare up" and she said she was afraid it would go out!
That gave me quite a chuckle purpahurl . Thanks. Is my wife related to yours??

My Mom was a firm believer in Incendiary Christmas Tree Mk.V –just rubbing your chilled hands next to a real tree would ignite it… but we had a real one anyway until…

Discussed elsewhere in the forum – can’t recall where - but rhertz recalls the house (Dr. Tucker) across the street from where I grew up on Gilbert Dr that burned to the ground Christmas eve because of a tree. We were sitting at our picture window and noticed a glow over the house across the street and sure enough… well – everyone made it out but. Rhertz had an additional memory…, anyway this only confirmed my Mom’s suspicions.

Reminds me about folks that have live candles on their tree. We had a manager xfer to Charlotte from Redmond, WA and they were tree hugger types (no vaccines for their kids, etc)– but they’d burn candles attached to this dry ass tree in their house. Needles everywhere. It was so dry. They had a party there and I wanted to stay close in case I needed to shake up my beer and spritz it at the tree before making my way thru the nearest window to escape.

We have a fake tree, but use fresh greenery liberally thru-out the house. Mrs j.nc gets free greenery from the tree places cuttings (nice soft fir -lots of tree farms in the mountains west of here) and decorates all the neighbors mail boxes, swags the stairs, etc.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote