View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
There is an anime site online where I get a lot of my anime. They also have a chat room on the site for anime discussions. The problem with this site is that a LOT of people avoid the chat room entirely because even a slight misstep in front of any admin will get you banned. They are seriously overzealous when it comes to member behavior.

I've also been to the forums on Shreveport Times. They have ZERO moderation of their members. There is one member who behaves quite like BrainSmashR in the religious forums (no offense Brain), but suprisingly worse. He ticked off a lot of members on a daily basis. I quit going because I was sick of him. If I had been the owner of that forum, I would've banned that particular member long ago.

There is a balance point under-moderation and over-moderation. SBL admin apparently tries to automate most of this, so that members shape the kind of community they want. That is a great idea, I think, but it seems some members just NEED to have their activity moderated in order to keep the peace around here.

The rep point system is more democratic in that we all play a part in giving each other power on the board to those we collectively feel deserve it, but it is possible to abuse this system. Another alternative is the infraction system that is controlled by the admin who decide who is misbehaving. The only other alternative is to have no moderation and pray everyone behaves themselves.

I don't know much about the infraction system, but I think the rep point system could still work if we all stick to the FAQs for it. I guess admin may need to help moderate rep comments a little.