View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
Two questions for TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Why do you say this child is scarred for life? Yes he will have scars but this does not have to determine his future. With the right help and right home from this point forward, he can have a great future. I have seen some tragic situations turned into very positive situations. It just requires work, determination, and prayer.
Were you ever abused as a child? Have you ever had foster children in your home? We have... Scars are not easily erased. The analogy that psychologists use is that children have a bucket that is filled on a daily basis with love, nurture, teaching, prayer, etc. A child who has been abused in any manner comes to you with a hole in his bucket.

You can work & work to fill their bucket with the same love, nurture, teaching, and prayer that you use with your own kids, but it simply goes through the hole. And unfortunately, you can just hand them a shiny, new bucket. He will have scars and to deny them is to deny that he survived.

I think there's an extremely important word left out of your list (work, determination, and prayer) and that's patience to walk through the healing process. My prayer is for someone to reach out to him and offer him the hope of a future and the willingness to give what it takes to get there.

Then the scars are simply a sign that inward healing has taken place.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote