View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #55
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 247 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMattyChooChoo
Let's save biblical translations for another thread.

I'm sorry that you feel so scorned, Al. The southern states weren't states, with the exception of Texas, before they joined the United States either. They were territories or just large tracts of land.
LOL, thats quite alright, Matt...how can I "feel scorned" when all I've ever known was the Union? It was all over long before I was born, though I've always believed in the South's cause, and I make no apologies for it.

As I stated earlier, in those days, fully half the country disagreed with you, and I'd be willing to bet that half the country still does. Had the Confederacy prevailed we wouldnt be debating the issue. But they didnt win, the Union did. Ofcourse, there could always be a rematch, right? All too often, individual states find themselves in pissin contests with the federal government. And when was the last time anyone agreed with the federal government's stand on a given issue, be it medical marijuana, physician assisted suicide, segregation or whatever? In each case, one state or another has examined the issue and bowed to the will of it's constituents, only to have the feds come along and tell them how the cookie should crumble. I dont know about you, Matt, but that pisses me the hell off.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote