View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I was just thinking. Prosthetics are becoming more and more advanced everyday. We already have robotic limbs that can be controlled by thought. We already have robotic sensors in these limbs that allow a person to feel heat, pain, and pressure. Pretty soon, we'll have this technique down flat and people who have lost limbs for whatever reason may have them replaced with a realistic-looking robot hand that will work just as well.

I watched a documentary a while back that pointed out that some people would be willing to get prosthetics in order to enhance their normal human capabilities. There are people out there who want to be cybornetic! During this documentary, a man was interviewed who shares this very view point. He said that when the technology becomes available, he is going to cyberize as much of his body as possible.

When such procedures become common and prosthetic limbs are developed so that they become stronger and faster than natural limbs, I wouldn't be surprised to see "cyberized" people no longer appearing in sporting events with people who are still all-natural. In these cases, they will definitely possess an unfair advantage. It'll be like steroids in sporting events today as robotic limbs don't necessarily have to feel pain and don't get tired. They are likely to be lighter weight than our water-based natural limbs and do not consume oxygen, allowing for less breath to continue functioning at full speed.

Within the next few decades, having a prosthetic limb will no longer be a handicap. As far as this particular guy with his minor prosthetics, the simple act of running may be very different for him, but it is hard to say if it is easier or harder for him.