View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadenza
I only do Apple and I have a dvi port on my 17" MacBookPro, but I don't see one on my iMac G5 (the one before they added the built-in camera
Luckily, the MBPro has the camera which is a blast to play with along with Photobooth. But what does dvi stand for? I am trying to learn to connect my computer to the TV so I can show my students things and I got a dvi connector which plugs into the computer, then another cord plugs into that and into the RCA port on the TV. The picture is so-so. I've been told to use S-video instead. Do all of the newer TVs come with S-video? The one I have at work doesn't have it. But I am supposed to be getting a new one. I have a bit of a wire phobia, LOL! I feel so dumb about this stuff. Thank God for Apple which at least is very user-friendly and I don't have to worry about viruses or spyware or a lot of freezing and crashing. It is SO elegant. And the Mac and PC guys commercials are so true. I've used both platforms and Apple is definitely a lot more fun!
Cadenza, here is a brief low down on video ports: (from worst to best)

TV's:
Composite Video - RCA jack - 2 conductors - worst choice
S-Video - mini-din jack - 5 conductors - separates color signals on same cable
Component video - RCA or BNC jacks - Separate cables for each color signal

Computers:
SVGA – D connector – the old style common monitor connector (analog)
Mac Video – various proprietary connectors but basically the same (analog)

Now comes the convergence of TV’s and Computer Interfacing:
DVI - Digital Video Interface – Video only used by computers and TV’s
HDMI – Same as DVI plus more signals for things like audio and remote control. Used mainly on new TV’s.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote