View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 09:59 AM   #7
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
What is it with katana's? My 18 y/o son loves them. Has quite a collection going...I just don't get it. How about a Manolo collection?
Katanas are great swords. They were used by the samurai of feudal Japan before the Meiji Era when swords became banned and samurai became somewhat nomadic. Their swords were respected and honored as a symbol of strength and honor. Samurai would not wear their swords on their belts in-doors and would lay their swords at their lords' feet while in audience with them. This was a custom that represented humility and loyalty, the cornerstones of the samurai's knight-like ways.

Unlike guns, it takes discipline, skill, and strength to slay your enemy with a sword. You must face your enemy and place yourself into harm's way to use a sword in combat, which makes it more honorable.

A good katana is handmade with high-carbon folded steel that sings like crystal as it slices the air. They are normally sharpened to almost a fine razor edge and could easily become a hand-held guillotine in a heated sword clash. Good swords are very sensative to moisture and rust, even the moisture on your fingers. The blade mustn't be touched by human hands without being promptly polished and some dry powder applied to remove moisture.

I like shopping for swords at pawn shops because they never know the true value of their goods. They would sell a $600 Musashi replica for $50 and never know it.