View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #58
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 247 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
Has armed resistance against the government worked once in the last 100 years in this country (or any other first world nation)? I think it stopped being a viable option about the time the tank was invented. I really don't see my 30-06 holding off the 82nd Airborne.

I'm a huge second Amendment supporter, but I wish "stand up for your gun rights" was associated with a better crowd than it currently is. We need better examples than Randy Weaver and David Koresh. Maybe just a couple that aren't insane.

There is a school o' thought that our Second Amendment rights are, for the most part, largely ceremonial these days, as resistence to an all-out onslaught by government forces would be almost certainly doomed to failure. However, when governments move to disarm their citizens, private ownership is usually first made illegal by edict, fiat, or rigged parliamentary/congressional action, followed by an "amnesty period" whereby the public is encouraged to turn over their guns peacefully in exchange for immunity from prosecution. This is in turn followed by actual door to door raids usin purchase records kept by a regulatin agency such as our own BATFE. The vehicles usually employed for this purpose are either local or state law enforcemnt, which typically do not have the heavy weaponry in use by the military. This is why here in the U.S, per the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878, it is illegal for the military to act in a domestic law enforcement capacity, essentially giving We The People a snowball's chance in hell of mountin a viable program of armed resistence.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 11-02-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote