View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #12
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
Piemaker I understand how you feel, but here is the truth. "Supply and Demand" is your friend, if you understand how it works. Using your example, if there are lots of people available to work in fast food joints, and a limited number of joints to work at, then wages are low. What is the solution? To artificially manipulate the market? Or else perhaps a portion of these fast food workers could go to school and learn a trade that is more "rare" and therefore more valuable and demands a higher wage because the demand is high and supply is low. In other words, "supply and demand" works for people (careers) as well as goods. Now if somone *chooses* to stay in a high supply and low demand job, that is their business, but it doesn't have to be that way.
I understand what you are trying to say but I still disagree. You say everyone that works for minimum wage should go to school and do better. What about the high school kids that work summers, nights or weekends or the college kids that work their way through school to buy books, pay tution, but they do not deserve a wage increase. What about a retired person that is trying to supplement their retirement income, they don't deserve a wage increase, they should get off their duff and go to school uh. It is not just about fast food jobs, what about Wal-Mart[ your elderly door greeters], your grocery store workers, your convience stores[gas] and so fourth. Then there is the CNA's that take care of your elderly, they don't deserve a wage increase and your elderly don't deserve to be taken care of. Your CNA's go to school, they are state licensed but alot don't make but minimum in small areas. There is a lot of companies that could give raises without being told to but they don't because they say that cuts into the profit, they just don't want to give a raise. So now what happens. My daughter works for Ryan's on Airline, They were just told they would not get any raise because of tips, they stay at $2.13 a hour. She goes to school. At first it was told fast food would go to $4.00 a hour, but guess what, I guess they don't deserve a raise. Supply and Demand, think, who's going to care for you in your golden age, hopefully you want have to be a people greeter.