View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #30
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
There is no technical and specific difference between a scientific law and a theory, but in general something described as "a scientific law" is subject to less scrutiny and proof than something described as "a scientific theory." A scientific law is an idea that we say "let's assume this is true because it seems simple and universal enough." A theory is an idea that we say "this is the explanation that the evidence supports."
I found an article on google regarding laws, hypotheses, and theories. I'm not a scientist by any means, but I think there exists a flaw in using the phrase "theory of evolution", which encompasses A) Micro-evolution, something that has been observed and generally accepted B) Macro-evolution, something that is merely hypothesis and not at all proven.

Gravity (according to this article) is considered a law, or something generally accepted to be true and universal. If I am standing in my kitchen and I drop a coffee mug, it will fall to the floor.

I don't know about any new technologies or relativity etc., though I would like to learn more.
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote