View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #62
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
I agree with Pie. The minimum wage increase will only effect people who are working minimum wage jobs.
No it affects all consumers. (everyone who buys food, services or goods)

Quote:
Also, we need to be clear about one thing. Productivity has nothing to do with how much a particular field of employment pays. What makes one field of employment pay more than another? Is the productivity? NO! It's the rarity of the skills needed to fill that position. I've worked in McDonald's before, flipping hamburgers, and I will admit that I worked longer and harder hours doing that then the standard 9 to 5 job I work now. Yet, my current job pays more.
Is flipping hamburgers really a harder job than using your mind sitting still in a chair excercising computer skills?

Quote:
Personally, I think if far fewer people flocked to these minimum wage jobs, the demand for these jobs would increase, causing an increase in pay for that field.
That is like saying that when fuel prices rise due to short supply, then demand for gas goes up and not down. Clearly demand goes down when supply is short and prices rise. Some people don't want to pay that extra money so they do without. Same goes for any business. Supply and demand are your friends not government. But you do need to understand and believe in free markets as a first step. Or else rely on government to save the day, and get back to me on that and let me know how well it works. LOL

Quote:
but what can you do short of supporting communism?
LOL, try supporting capitalism and free enterprise. Then if you go to school and work hard and never give up, you will have an excellent chance at making 6 figures, which I think would be a good thing and not bad, a blessing to be sure.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote