View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 06:31 AM   #12
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
My grandfather lived in the middle of cotton an soybean fields. They were farmers. They lived in a 3 bedroom house with 7 kids. The parents in one, boys in one, girls the other. They had a spare bed set up in one corner of the living room for company. No air conditioner, slept with the windows open and no screens on them. They had an outhouse and you took a bath in a no.3 washtub on the back porch. And of coarse well water. they worked the fields and 2 girls would come in to cook lunch about 10:00 o'clock. They raised their own chickens, turkeys, geese. I remember well.
Their stories amaze me!! My mom was a real coal miner's daughter. They were also share croppers at some point, too. Her work ethic is awesome, as well as her value for education. Just figures I'd be a teacher, I guess.

So if you've tried sugar cane, have you ever been to a cane grinding? Had cane syrup, eaten the candy that drops when they make the syrup? Simple treasures!