View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
My great-grandparents (he died in 1991, she in 1998) were married 75 years. He was 25 when they married, she was 16. He lived to be a week shy of 100, she made it to 98. Both smoked like chimneys and never once went to any doctor except for the time he sawed off his thumb (he worked for the RR) and had to ride a horse to the hospital to get the wound sewn shut. Then he rode the horse back to work and finished the day.
Great story joepole. Thanks for sharing. My grandmother lived to 93 and lived by herself out in the country. Our ancestors were tough folk for sure.

But it was my great grandfather (and my namesake) who inspires me the most. He was a Baptist preacher to traveled in a horse and wagon between East Texas and Central Louisiana on dirt roads. He helped start a lot of the early churches in our area, and was one of 13 brothers and sisters.. I can hardly imagine that household!

LOL, I wonder if they used safety seats for the kids back then in those horse and wagons?
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote