View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Before moving to S'port, lived in Omaha (another USAF base as a prime target). Well, as my Dad relayed the story - a neighbor down the street (boy was a friend of mine, Bruce) somehow got the US Gov to supply him a huge gas powered backup generator and enhanced shortwave (HAM) radio set in his basement and big antennae. Some sort of civil defense program at the time it seems. I didn’t know it at the time but my friend’s dad was also the son (or grandson) of the founder of Omaha Steaks and now part of the company.

... looking for my photos of the air raid siren on the Broadmoor JHS campus... they used to test them something like noon on Saturday's right? Wonder when that stopped. It was such a reminder of the era. Also recall drills at South Highlands Elem. where we'd go into the hallways, sit, and cover our faces... something like that.

Last edited by j.nc; 10-29-2007 at 11:29 PM.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote