View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
My personal favorite that my brothers and I love to laugh over is about our mom. She passed away last year and this story has gotten us through some tears.

We lived out in the country at the end of a little dirt road and our father had barrels that he would burn the trash in. Every so often it would build up kind of high in it and he would have to haul it off. We'll it was getting close to that time, but my sweet momma still put some trash in it one morning after we all left and she lit it. She went inside to take her bath and get ready to go to work. After momma got out of the tub, she looked outside only to see the burning trash had fallen out of the barrel and was now catching the grass on fire around it. She ran outside in her robe (with nothing on beneath it). She got out to the fire and not having anything to put out the fire, took off her robe and started beating out the fire on the ground. Well well well just who happen to drive by at that time but the "well man". He was on his once a week trip down our road to check the oil well at the end. He got the eyeful of a lifetime. Our momma, butt naked, beating out a fire with her robe. She was mortified, but she got the fire. But to make matters worse, she kept wearing that darn robe with the little burn holes all in it. For years we'd buy her new robes but she kept wearing that one. My brothers, Momma, Daddy, and I laughed for years over that robe and her naked putting out that fire.

After she died last year, my aunt was going through her things and called me. She said, "I found the strangest thing. It was this robe in a box. It's green, rather old and full of all these little burn holes. Do you know what this is?" I laughed until I cried for hours. It's a strange thing to treasure but I treasure that robe!