View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 10:04 PM   #16
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rider
Back to the war on the middle class.. I'm sick to death of the current political climate.. Democrats and Republicans .. they like to bring up these wedge issues.. Gun Control, Abortion to name a couple.. these things that DIVIDE us.. and things we (the american public) will NEVER agree on. Let's work together on things that affect us all. Affordable health care, securing our borders.. Improving our schools etc.. and let's stop sending ALL OUR DAMN jobs overseas.
Well put. I agree 100% with your thoughts here Rough Rider except one. And it is not that I don't agree with your last statement, but rather your preconception that "we" are sending jobs overseas.

True many jobs are going overseas but why? Corporations are sending them there, right? And who are corporations? Well most are owned not by Americans but by all sorts of nationalities. English, French, Germans, Indians, and others own shares of these stocks. Who owns IBM or Apple? The answer is “people” called investors all over the world in a global competitive economy. Now “our” investments compete with investments from other countries and vice versa. Everything is co-mingled which I think is a good thing. I think commerce promotes peace for one thing. And prosperity for another.

Free markets and competition is good as long as the laws of supply and demand and capitalism are left to naturally maintain a free market balance. There are exceptions usually based on moral issues and sure, human or drug trafficking should be illegal, etc. But other than setting a moral and level playing field with basic laws, I believe that free markets should be left alone to adjust without a whole lot of intervention by politicians and lawyers (big government). If Free Enterprise is good on a national basis and made this country great, then why can’t it be good on a global basis now that the cat (protectionism) is already out of the bag.

I think your feelings (and mine) come from the fact that we are *in transition*. Just like when the telephone company went from “regulation” to “competition”, there was a painful period of “de-regulation” which always sucks in my opinion. The result is a lot of jobs headed overseas to find our new worldwide balance in the marketplace. I just don’t get the warm and fuzzies that making new government laws to stop sending jobs overseas would be the right thing to do. Usually governments come up with ideas like taxes or tariffs that make the incentive a little less potent. These taxes may go away after the result is achieved, but this helps to buffer a sudden shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rider
It seems that I "may" have been accused of being an "isolationist" recently on these boards.. nothing could be further from the truth.. I fully understand that we live in a Global Market place these days.. But I don't see how allowing American Companies to send all their jobs overseas is supposed to help me, an avererage American citizen ????

o.k. done with my rant, sorry.
I see no need to apologize. Your “rant” is a well stated opinion, and I feel pretty much the same. But I just don’t know what to do about the problem. Let it run its course? That seems difficult. Intervene in a free market? That too is a can of worms.. Nobody said these things were easy.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote