View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
Millipede

Rep Power: 0 Millipede has a spectacular aura about Millipede has a spectacular aura about Millipede has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Millipede Send a message via Yahoo to Millipede
Oddly enough, I have to agree with joepole on this one. A 10 month old is not likely to go on a shooting spree or set off his gun accidently or what have you. Actually learning about guns and gun safety from a young age could help allieviate some of the problems we have now with younger children and gun curiosity.
My wife was of the notion that the kids should not be allowed to purchase toy guns or pretend to use guns at all. All that happened was that they started making them from legos.
I have talked to them both about gun safety and why one would have a gun and what they should be used for. I do not actually own a gun myself, but figure if I can satisfy thier curiosity they would be less likely to want a gun as they get older. Of course, I want to be able to go out and buy a gun if I want one so I am not a gun control person either. I think that an armed robber would be less likely to rob a store full of armed customers and staff.
At the same time I can see where everyone haveing a gun might cause an increase in crimes of passion or what... but I guess if you are mad enough, a brick will kill just as well as a bullet.
As an aside, I know that North Carolina sells lifetime fishing and hunting licenses to anyone and they are cheaper if the child is younger. A newborn will not hunt or fish, but he will be able to use it as he gets older.
A bit windy I guess... but as long as there is resposible adult supervision I don't see a problem either.