View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #66
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
You know I don't understand why all of you are griping and so against the minimum wage increase. This raise only affects a small portion of workers. If you already make above minimum wage then you will not be getting a raise. It is to help the little people catch up with the economy. You can talk how the people needs to go to school to improve themselves but someone still has to do these jobs. It is also fine and good when you can sit in judgement of these people in your life, with your family and home and you have alot of single parents with children trying to do the best they can with what they can get. If you really understood you know life throws things at people out of the blue. A man dies and the wife has never worked, she has kids she has to take care of. It happens. Sure there are some people in these low paying jobs that are worthless and sorry but those same type of people run your big corperations too. Do you think a CEO of a corperation should deserve to make 6 figure paychecks? I have been where the little people are and unless you have you will never know how they feel. You can also say if a person doesn't like what they are being paid, quit and go somewhere else, but then the boss that pays low will not keep workers. Big amounts of turn overs cost more than a faithful employee that stays put. Have you ever been in a business when everytime you go there someone knew is working and you wonder what is going on.
Oh I don't know how I missed this thread but we've had some teenage drama in the house for a couple of days so I guess that is how. But let me jump in the deep end of the pool here!

I believe I can speak from both ends you keep referring to Pie. I have been the low wage earner and now can speak as the business owner. The minimum wage increase is not going to be all that you think it is. It is going to hurt business owners which will in fact trickle down and hurt the worker. Business owners can not continue to keep having to fork out large wages, insurance, taxes, etc. It is becoming more impossible for some of these people to stay in business. I understand (but don't agree with) why so many do hire illegal aliens. We've had many construction workers and the such at our house over the last couple of years. The Mexican will get out here and work an American boy under the table and then some for $5.00 an hour. But that white boy expects $10.00 an hour and won't hardly work. Where is the fairness in that? Who wants to pay for that? Not me.

My husband came from absolutely nothing. Grew up in a house with holes in the floor. He worked minimum wage jobs and put himself through college and medical school. He never ever whined about that minimum wage and how he was OWED more. He MADE it happen for himself. Anybody and everybody has the same opportunities that he did and can do the same thing he did. He put himself through school with the minimum wage, took care of a family while doing it, had student loans, grants, etc. so it is all possible. It is a matter of what is important to you. I too at one point was a single parent making little money but I worked hard. I proved myself to my employers and got raises one right after the other. Before I knew it I was making more than ever. It certainly wasn't six figures but it was good money. It was about working hard and proving myself. I never stopped and whined about that minimum wage. I just kept working hard which is how I got ahead. Everybody can do this. You just have to try.