View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #13
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
What's there not to get? Let me ask you a few questions that might shed some light here....

Do you think a 16 year old minor who kills someone in cold blood should be elegible for the death penalty? Why or Why not?
If he killed one person in cold blood, I'd probably say a very long time in jail. If he killed many people in cold blood, he is likely beyond help. Depending on the circumstances, I could agree with the death penalty for a 16-yo. A cold-blooded murderer on the street is still a danger to society, regardless of age. It may be

Quote:
What if he just beats the living daylight out of someone leaving them barely alive, and possibly thinking they were dead? Is that much different?
Assault with intent to kill. Very long jail/juvenile sentence.

Quote:
Do you think that 16 and 17 year olds ever commit crimes that they might reconsider committing if they were 18 years?
Depends on the person really. I'm sure some kids who commit crimes MAY reconsider when they are no longer protected by juvenile law. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if this was small percentage.

Quote:
My point is that if that were my grandmother who was savagely beaten/raped, I couldn't care less about the evil minded criminal's age.....
I agree. A killer is a killer. But I just don't want to discuss why he didn't just kill her. That just feels like a cold topic to discuss. It makes it sound like the value of life is less than the value of safety.