View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #41
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas
The raw stuff is nasty!!
Don't know about "stuff", and you are not the first to make such as comment about sushi But FRESH raw fish can be extremely delicious, whereas cooking it can utterly ruin it's texture and flavor. When people cook fish they add lemon, or add a sauce, or fry it, or anything to add some taste.

When fish is raw, you can really taste the spendid oils that make fish to healthy. Some are nearly buttery but much better for you. In fact, the more oily and buttery a fish is, the quicker it spoils, so in many cases, the more expensive (fatty) cuts are not available. Salmon belly and Tuna belly (Toro) are particularly nice and also White Tuna (Ecular Tuna?) is also buttery. If it tastes "fishy" then it isn't good.

So sure old fish would be gross/nasty to eat, even cooked IMO. But the fact is that sushi is nearly an all or nothing proposition by definition. Either it is good (fresh) or it is bad (not fresh). I've had both in our area.

Quote:
The cooked tolerable, but I don't like the way seaweed tastes.
There are all sorts of sea plants like kelp and "Nori" which is what you are probably talking about. Yeah it takes some getting used to, but if you can learn to enjoy it, it is extremely good for you. It reminds me of the ocean mist on the beach, but I like it crispy and not soggy. Sushi is meant to be eatten fresh right after it is made. I don't eat sushi leftovers.

Quote:
I tried eating it in rice paper once and it was okay. Give me some Mexican food any day of the week though!!
I like mexican too. Every culture has it's raw fish recipes. I've had some ceviche in mexico that was awesome. Actually it is cooked in lemon juice which is acidic and turns the fish white. Now pickled herring can be pretty strong for me.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote