View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 06:53 AM   #29
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
The Iliad and the Odyssey were traditional legends and fables written by Homer who did not profess to be a prophet. He recorded oral, epic poems that served to entertain the ancient Greeks. Entertainment does not equal a religion. There is question if Homer or group known as Homer even existed.
Likewise, the authors of the Bible were not prophets. They were simple men who wrote stories that involved their god. Not unlike Homer, wouldn't you say?

Not to mention that is but one example. The Iliad and the Odyssey are considered the first works (of those that survived to modern times), not the only works....as is the case with the Bible. Remember all that "documentation" you were talking about yesterday?

Quote:
Are you claiming that Jesus of Nazareth didn’t exist?
No I'm not, but you certainly cannot prove that he did exist either.

Quote:
Christians, Muslims, and Jews all agree he existed in history, but disagree on his status. If you agree he existed in history, then that’s a start. Then all we might disagree on is his status as son of God or just any other human being like you or me.
I have no problem with the concept that he was just a man preaching a message of peace....it's the "miracles" I refuse to believe.

The "problem" here is that, as with the astronomy thread, you are relying on the majority as your "proof". Religion is not democracy, and just like with the flat-Earth concept, it is quite possible for the majority to be completely and entirely wrong.

So I'll ask you again, can you even prove that Jesus existed or is the Bible and faith all you have, all you've ever had, and all you ever will have?

Quote:
I made no comment about "alternate beliefs" whatever that means. I did comment about Mythology and now Homer and Jesus existing one way or another.
The belief/worship of the Greek Gods is an "alternate belief".
Islam is an alternate belief.
Buddhism is an alternate belief.

Last edited by BrainSmashR; 03-07-2007 at 07:05 AM.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote