View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
sassy1

Rep Power: 0 sassy1 is a jewel in the rough sassy1 is a jewel in the rough sassy1 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
True, but punishment is suppose to induce regret in the subject and make him aware of the consequences of his actions, thus making him gradually step toward a more civilized lifestyle. Excessive punshiment on the part of society will induce hatred for society in the subject and thus encourage him to further rebel against it by breaking more laws.

In other words, the subject may declare such things as, "Society hates me, so why should I care?" This may not be true, but would you feel differently if society took your house and car away from you after you got out of jail?

I just feel this level of punishment is excessive. We already make sexual predators announce when they move into the neighborhood.
I understand your point AnimeSpirit..there is no easy way to deal with these offenders. I would however comment that consequences have actions. I try to be a good citizen and do not see myself committing a crime that would incarcerate me. But if we do not teach the concept that consequesces have actions then how are people to learn? Civilized society has rules. What's the deterent? Kind of a "you play you pay" philosophy.
sassy1 is offline   Reply With Quote