View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus
But since you asked. The bees around the country are dying at an alarming rate. Some beekeepers have experienced losses over 60%. Beekeepers have been beaten down by an unknown disease. The name of the disease is Colony Collapse Disorder. By the way the Romans also had the same disease run through their colonies and gave it the same name.

We are happy for the press the industry is receiving about the importance of honey bees to our food chain. The disease today has no answer but many theories. One being the cell towers are causing the bees to loss their navigational bearings. Another theory stats that GMO, Genetically Modified Organism, have caused the bees to become disoriented. Those two are assuming the bees are losing their way home. By the way, bees fly up to 5 miles to collect nectar, pollen, and water for the colonies.

The other theories deal with the with miss use of miticides, antibiotics, and food supplements. These all hold some truth but no one theory holds all the answers. Like I said before the Romans have experienced this outbreak, we have documented a similar outbreak in this region in the 1950's.

I believe the bees are stressed, hot dry summers the United State received these past couple of years along with the lack of adequate moisture for the plants to produce nectar has caused the bees to scale their operations down.

Now if you don't mind, I will return to the wall right behind you.

Thank you Brutus for that most excellent bee report! I know that bees are important to my tomatoes, cucs, and peppers! I have high hopes for a bumper crop in my little garden this year.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote