View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 AM   #39
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 249 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
Even when I was a child my Daddy had a gun that he kept in a locked drawer.
I'm sure glad he did because he was a city slicker and wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.
On the other side of the family my mother's father was the town sheriff.
He was always cautious around us and only wore the gun if he was on duty. Of course we were never allowed to touch or go near it! I'm just surprised at how openly exposed to guns you were.
It is just not me. Country folks back years ago taught their kids what to touch and what not to. You don't remember ever seeing guys in pick-ups driving around with guns hanging on a rack in the window. The thing is they kept their guns there even when they were at home. I was hunting with my dad at the ageof 9 or 10 and we had our own gun a 410. We learned to shoot it and when not to. That was a way of life and I thinkthe now years are alot weirder than 30 years ago. We I was coon hunting, we use to go down a dirt road stick kitchen matches up in the sand and shoot them. If you could light the match then you could shoot a coon, because to sell the fur it needed to be shot in the head if it was shot anywhere else the hide was not as valueable. The matches developed very good aim.