View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 09:25 AM   #17
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
On one hand I feel like we should mind our own business, however, for good or for bad, once a "global economy" is in place and functioning, then worldwide events do become our business so to speak. We own land in other countries, and foreigners own land here, stocks, investments, and corporations as well. I'm not at all for "protectionism" but I'm also sick and tired of "offshoring" as you mention with computer jobs, but also radiology and call centers, and the list grows.

I don't have many answers, but at my core, I am for privatization, smaller government, lower taxes, tighter borders, capitalism, free markets, strong defence, so maybe I do watch Fox news too much! LOL Take care Rough Rider...
Yes I do agree.. once you reach a global economy, we're pretty much stuck with it. You mention free markets.. seems to me we get burned at every turn on this.. And this outsourcing of jobs just drives me crazy. Back when we sent all these jobs elsewhere like I don't what you'd call it.. making of clothes, shoes stuff like that, and lots of folks lost their jobs here when we did that.. We said "we'll train you to do better jobs, computer jobs" so these folks learn something else to do, get jobs at call centers, or computer programming and the like, and then BOOM off those jobs go. When I read that someone like IBM is laying off some 30,000 folks in the U.S. and then hiring some 20,000+ in India.. I'm like WTF ??

Privatization, yes, I agree.. not sure how much I agree when it's big business gaining profits from war though.. that bothers me.

Smaller Governments.. YES agreed.. Currently this is one of the biggest dang governments we've EVER HAD, one that is trying to take control, and make up it's own rules as it goes along. And is spending money faster than anything we've ever seen.

Lower Taxes.. YES agreed. But does it make good fiscal sense to do so in the middle of a "war on terror". I this administration has lowered taxes, where the most of us maybe got back $600 or the like (which got burned up with the price of oil right quick) to make us all "feel good" but the truth is the richest of the rich benefited the most. We even gave tax breaks to the freakin' OIL companies recently.. HELLO ? and Don't get me wrong I don't want the richest of the rich to pay more than their fare share, the Fire Department doesn't get to their house any faster than mine, and their water isn't any cleaner than mine.. I'm just sayin' lets be sensible.

Tighter more secure borders.. ABOSOLUTELY.

Strong Defense. You betcha!

Rough Rider
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote