View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
Before it closed they had the building next to Hardeman's as a warehouse. Periodically they would open it to the public for a big sale. I had enough cash for one more record. Decisions decisions. BTO or Band on the Run. I had completely forgotten bout all that. Think I ended up with Wings. The Shreve City branch was more accessible when I was a pup but only slightly so. Probably fifteen miles away. When your mode of transportation is a Honda Sport 90 that is the equivalent of a trip into the Amazon. My brother was the pilot and I the dumb-ass tag along kid brother. It was about -30 degrees outside but the Jimi Hendrix album was not at our house. So the only thing to do was dress as warmly as possible, kick over that Honda, climb on, go to Stan's Shreve City, get that record and safely return it home. A walrus would have gotten frost-bite on that ride. We looked like Harry and Lloyd of Dumb and Dumber fame as we dismounted. Later there was a W.70th location. The first place I remember was Spartan-Atlantic on Linwood and Kings. Mom bought my eldest brother The Beatles Something New, My middle brother got Beatles 65 and I got Eight Days a Week 45. Beatlemania! Even Palais Royal got in on the record sellin' action. Not much selection though. Somehow Mom was goaded into buying a record during a school clothes spree. The most promising we could find was an album by The Liverpool Beats. Other record departments were Sears, TG&Y and later Globe Discount City. Seems like Sooto came around in the early seventies.
salguodgrubmab is offline   Reply With Quote