View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 01:48 AM   #18
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rider
o.k. so I understand your argument for free trade and the like.

when I think of all the manufacturing jobs 'that got sent overseas'. We told these people, train for the future, computers, technologies... was the wave of the future.. So they trained.. got good jobs.

Now with computers and the 'wave of the future', companies are able to send all these new jobs overseas as well. Computer programmers, network engineers, auto manufacturers etc.. good paying jobs are overseas. almost 2 million jobs over the past 3 years have gone overseas. With no end in sight. Now some of these people are working 2 and 3 minimum wage jobs tryin' to make ends meet.
This is very true, especially for specific industries like “call centers”, “radiology”, and “programmers” which are industries where the Internet aids in “telecommunication”. Yet I find it interesting that Shreveport hosts US Support, a call center for Verizon and other carriers. And then there is the CenturyTel call center, also on the Industrial loop. I guess that makes Shreveport the next best thing to offshoring to India!

Quote:
These companies get tax 'breaks' by outsourcing.. via "unrepatriated earnings"

Just trying to figure out as more and more of these types of jobs go overseas.. what's that leave the 'american worker' ? ?
Except working at Walmart or something ?
Well you asked? It leaves very low cost goods for sale at Walmart. And for good or bad, US citizens will buy Internet from Bellsouth rather than a good local independent ISP as long as the price is a buck cheaper. We like our screw drivers and flashlights, and crescent wrenches for $2.. Why buy them for $6+ from a locally owned business selling US made goods? The fact is that “we” won’t buy them to a great extent. As in so many things, follow the dollar! Why not “go with it”. Greed can be good, in a Free Enterprise system. Just food for thought, mind you……

Quote:
I understand your desire to the let the market work itself out. Just seems sometimes at the other side of that working out.. we end up with fewer jobs here. How's that help us ?
Ah, you bring up a good point. Sometimes when the market doesn’t seem to balance out in due time, I get suspicious. In short, I would not be surprised to find out that certain people or corporations are abusing the system. I guess the question becomes to what extent? But in the end, the Free Enterprise system is very resilient. For every job lost, two new ones seem to spring up to take their place. Not always, but a lot of the time. This sucks if you are a radiologist, programmer, engineer, or call center worker being laid off.

Quote:
And regarding joepole's comments.. as far as what items I purchase that may or may not be overseas.. I appreciate that.. I have tried.. Always purchased "American" automobiles.. of course now more and more of those are made overseas.. I can think of a few Amercian services I've had.. of couse now when I call for support of some kind, I can't understand the tech on the other side because of the broken English.. Sure maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.. but the whole thing just gives me a bad feeling.
LOL, my Amsouth mortgage was sold to Chase who now offshores their call center. I know what you mean. I have the same problem calling Dish Network. There is something to be said for “local flavor”. However I bet that local products and services will increasingly be seen as premium services. Compare the price of a burger and fries at Strawns verses McDonalds or Burger King. It’s about 2X and whether it is worth it or not, let the consumer decide. I think Strawn’s is worth it. Plus I want some strawberry pie. But the major of Americans go to McD’s or BK, which is like offshoring.. LOL
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote