View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #20
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
While this topic is still active, I thought I might post my favorite sushi dishes. If you like sushi, please do the same! (If you don't, read em and weep!) LOL

#1 Spicy Tuna Carpaccio or Spicy Tuna Salad

There are many variations of this dish. Basically you take some FRESH raw yellow tail tuna or Ahi tun and dice it and mix it with chili sauce and sesame oil. Sometime it is served with diced cucumber mixed in as well, which I like. And sometimes it is just strips of raw tuna over a mixed green salad (with cuc) and chili oil and sesame oil drizzled over the top. My favorite touch is some shave nori (dried seaweed) over the top for garnish. Also flying fish roe (tobikko) is also a great garnish.

#2 Fresh sashimi

This is where you get to appreciate the taste and TEXTURE of raw fish and nothing else. I only order this when I am “out of town” and near the coast. I do not like Salmon in any form, but I like tuna and yellow tail (Hamachi), not to be confused with yellow tail tuna which is totally different and one of my favorites. Dip it in some soy sauce mixed with a bit of wasabi and enjoy!

#3 Spider Roll

This is a fried soft shell crab roll with no “raw” fish at all. Good for newbies who happen to love crab. A safe bet.

#4 Spicy Tuna Roll

This is basically the mixture from #1 but rolled up with rice into a "Maki sushi" roll. Almost all sushi bars have this so this is my "old staple" when I am in doubt. (not that I get the opportunity to try new resturants often)

But I do judge how good a sushi bar is by their nigiri zushi and spicy tuna rolls! If they can't do that, (the basics) then there is no use going any further.

Also please post your favorite sushi resturant experience if you have one. Mine would be at "Osaka" down in Destin, FL during our last family vacation a couple of years ago. It was very good with lots of Sake to choose from.
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote