View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>Hydrogen is indeed our only hope for a sustainable, non-polluting energy source.

No way, there are lots of alternatives, including fusion, which you mention below.

>Developing fuel cell technology is absurd.

No more absurd than hydrogen. Especially hydrogen fuel cells.

>The underlying fact of this so called plan is that oil and power companies will remain highly profitable for decades to come.

I should hope so. Why would you want them to not be?

>Let's consider this article. Using a radio-frequency generator to break up the two elements that are water and burning the hydrogen. The waste by-products released would be oxygen and it was stated that the hydrogen would burn indefinitely if kept exposed to the radio-frequencies. This is so simple that it makes me dizzy. I had to read this brief a couple of times. The findings were confirmed and the only question is how much energy will be released by burning hydrogen in this manner.

No, the questions is how much energy it takes to break up the water molecules, we already know exactly how much energy will be released by burning the hydrogen. The laws of physics as we know it say this won't work and I see no reason to suspect this isn't a hoax/mistake.

If burning hydrogen in the presence of oxygen makes water in an exothermic reaction, then (if the reaction was perfectly reversible, which it isn't) the minimum amount of energy required to break the bond is exactly the same amount of energy released in its creation. Remember that water is a covalent bond, it doesn't come apart easily or via a catalytic reaction.

Any one of us can do this experiment at home. Just drop a 9V battery into a glass of water. Hydrogen will bubble off the cathode and oxygen (at about half the rate) will bubble off the anode. Burn that hydrogen for electricity and you will end up with less power than was in that battery.

You have to remember that you can't beat thermodynamics. Burning oil for electricity isn't efficient, either, but we have hundreds of millions of years of energy from the sun stored in that oil. We will NEVER find an efficient non-nuclear method for extracting energy from water, it's physically impossible.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote