View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Huldah

Rep Power: 0 Huldah is just really nice Huldah is just really nice Huldah is just really nice Huldah is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
Each Mayor has to leave a mark on this town. I think each new administration has to top the previous one. Hightower may have done his projects at a major cost to the tax payer. I hope Glover will use our tax money for our streets and other major repairs to this city.
Hey Isaac-Saxxon, it's interesting that you mention a politician spending taxpayers money on new projects to put their name on. So many over history do just that so that they have a "legacy" to be remembered by. When the bridge over I35 in Minneapollis collapsed into the Mississippi River, there was of course, national concern about the safety of the 70,000 other bridges that are considered to be in major need of repair. Sceptics said that any politician, given the choice of either to repair existing bridges or build a new one, they would choose building a new one. It's sells better in the press and they look good to their constituants.

We as taxpayers can not begin to guess the extent to which the politicians in Washington will go to look good. And we as taxpayers should be ashamed of the pressure we put on them to spend money on various "causes." Everytime there is a national disaster in this country is seems everyone expects the federal government to step in and pay to fix it all to "like new," or "like it was before."
Just a bit of information for all of us: Did you know that the U.S. government in the past two years has spent $110 Billion to rebuild/repair New Orleans.
Just in case you didn't know.
I sure hope some of it was spent on a better levee system.

Huldah
Huldah is offline   Reply With Quote