View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #10
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
The old HR10-250 Tivo units from DirecTV won't be able to receive local HD content or most of the new HD content (the new satellites are MPEG4 and the HR10-250 only decodes MPEG2). As of today no cable companies provide Tivo-branded units, but this week Comcast and Tivo announced one. Also, the retail Series 3 Tivo supports CableCard, so you can go that route for the low, low price of $800.
Joepole, I’m not very “up to speed” on the latest tv services (other than b!tching about Dish Networks appointment calendar, LOL) I heard that Dish Network bought Voom and has more HD channels than Directv. So did I screw myself by switching to directv? (I don’t have a HD tv yet, but I plan on getting one) I also heard a couple of years ago that cable offers a lower grade of HD (480i or 720i) compared to satellite (720p and 1080i). Do you know if this is true? I’m just thinking that once I do spring for a HD tv, then I want 720p (or above) in as many channels as I can get. Thanks for any tips you can provide on this subject……

I will offer this one tip. I heard that the owner of www.ehdmi.com is a local guy who is a national reseller of inexpensive HDMI cables and other accessories. I haven’t ordered from him, but I plan to when I need some HDMI cables. Also FWIW, the guy at www.gerber-tools.com is also local in Haughton (two point) Really nice guy. I believe in supporting local people when possible.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote