Thread: Spankings Work
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Odd view for a granny. Honestly, I'm not sure if spankings work or not. It seems like all spanking did was teach her to hit. Maybe that comes naturally; it's my first child, but I do think that the more we spank, the more aggressive my child is with us. She laughs when we spank her anyway. I don't want to beat her. Time out doesn't seem to work either. Ditto for "standing in the corner". The only thing that really seems to work is redirecting her into another activity. My wife and I often wonder if we're doing the right thing.
Morpheus, I agree with Isaac. You have to show them it can be done. You don't you beat them. I have 2 grown children, both will tell you the whipping they got were far and few in between, they can count them on their fingers only. But I taught them I could do it and if they pushed me it could be done again. But you have to teach them NO and mean it. My son one time when he was 3 got a new pair of cowboy boots for Christmas. We were in the car, he was standing on the seat beside [this was before seatbelt law, he is now 25] his sister who was 4 was on the other side of him. He kicked her square under the chin with the toe of them boots, I swear I heard her teeth rattle. I stopped in the middle of the road, took his boots off and threw them out the window. I drove off and told him until he learned what the boots was for he would not get anymore. I didn't even go back for them. But he learned a good lesson. So you don't have to beat a child but get your bluff on them early and keep it. Find something she doesn't like and use that. My grandkids I will take their hand in mine and pop the back of theirs with mine. Gets their attention.