View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab
Nothing there is digit. Photo collections are mostly negatives in shoe boxes. If Mike, the archivist, could he would digitize them all. He is quite passionate about it. But he can only do so much, especially when I keep adding to his work load. It would take a wheelbarrow full of money and a couple dozen staffers to scan those collections. If I had that wheelbarrow I would do it. My gift to this community.
I hear what you are saying, but I can't help but think that with a good modern scanner, that we could make a dent in it. These photos should be preserved. Case in point, I lost a lot of family photos during a flood many years ago. Had they been scanned, then copied onto a handful of CD's distributed among my relatives, they would not be lost. Also the remaining photos I have are often faded. Once digitized, numbers don't fade like chemicals do. And once you upload them to the Internet, they are preserved forever on the Wayback Machine even if the site goes down. http://www.archive.org

I have a laptop and a scanner. I am betting we could organize a small team of volunteers with laptops and scanners and give it a try. Please let me know if you would like to make a stab at it. Otherwise, I really do appreciate what you have been able to do so far. That's thousands of photos that will never fade or be distroyed by fire or flood thanks to you. Good job Sal!
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote