Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Health & Wellness

Notices

Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
Ugg

Rep Power: 0 Ugg will become famous soon enough Ugg will become famous soon enough
With the coming of Spring, so comes the Mosquitoes

Just wondering what you all locals think about these Mosquitoes and the West Nile Virus. I get a laugh out of the news sources that say, "don't go out in the evenings and the mornings, for that's feeding time for the mosquitoes" and to "wear long sleeve shirts and pants" etc.. And what with Louisiana being the Sportsman Paradise and all.
Ugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Well us here in the Sportsmens Paradise (those with any sense) have had to learn to adapt our ways when out hunting critters. I know ya'll probably did it different back in the day of the cave, but the 'skeeters are vicious. The virus they carry is nasty, anybody can get it, and it has some nasty consequences. Yes, you should wear insect repellant. Yes, wear long pants/sleeves. Yes, be very very careful of these small monsters. On our home we actually installed a system that is set on a timer and it goes off about 4 times a day and sprays a natural insect repellent. It kills the mosquitos, wasps, flies, and the life. Highly recommend it! Don't know how it would work on a cave though.
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:34 AM   #3
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
That is great every four hours PCB's around the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Well us here in the Sportsmens Paradise (those with any sense) have had to learn to adapt our ways when out hunting critters. I know ya'll probably did it different back in the day of the cave, but the 'skeeters are vicious. The virus they carry is nasty, anybody can get it, and it has some nasty consequences. Yes, you should wear insect repellant. Yes, wear long pants/sleeves. Yes, be very very careful of these small monsters. On our home we actually installed a system that is set on a timer and it goes off about 4 times a day and sprays a natural insect repellent. It kills the mosquitos, wasps, flies, and the life. Highly recommend it! Don't know how it would work on a cave though.
Chemical spray soaking down the area every four hours that sounds very toxic.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
What part of natural insect repellant did you not understand Isaac?! It's actually pyrethrin, the same chemical found in marigolds for instance completely organic and not toxic. Dear hubby would never allow a toxic carcinogen spraying at this house!!!

It doesn't soak anything either. It actually sprays a fine mist for one minute. You can set it to go off more or less, it's whatever you choose. I sure do enjoy being able to sit outside on the patio or in the garden or hang around the pool without being mosquito food.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
If it "kills" bugs and other pest

Quote:
What part of natural insect repellant did you not understand Isaac?! It's actually pyrethrin, the same chemical found in marigolds for instance completely organic and not toxic. Dear hubby would never allow a toxic carcinogen spraying at this house!!!

It doesn't soak anything either. It actually sprays a fine mist for one minute. You can set it to go off more or less, it's whatever you choose. I sure do enjoy being able to sit outside on the patio or in the garden or hang around the pool without being mosquito food.
It could not be that good to inhale Anything that makes spiders leave has got to be hot. What are you growing in your garden ? I think geodude does those Japanese Maples that you are looking for. Check out his group on this site. Good morning
Isaac
Old 03-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Well I don't go stand underneath it and breath it in. Not that dumbed up yet!!! How's the garden growing? Vegetable garden going in this weekend. We have a one garden area off one side of the home with a water feature, that's what we worked on this weekend. We built the beds and planted part of them. It has ligustrums, gardenias, zinnias, impatiens, hydrangeas (my fav's), camellias, one Japanese maple and looking for another, and some other assorted things I cant recall at the moment.

I have a rose garden close to the pool which I'll dandy up this week a little. It's full of old fashioned roses mostly as in the David Austin varieties. Are you familiar? The next challenge will be that we need to completely redo all the beds across the front of the home. Ughhhhh dreading that challenge. These 40 y/o bones might not be up to it!!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

My garden is in with no pesticides

I have a large garden but only a few perennial flowers on the side. I grow tomatoes,okra, peppers and cucumbers and for my girls I grow a bed of sunflowers they like to look at them and I like the cool birds that show up when the seeds are ripe. Yes a tiller of the ground Any other avatars out there do any gardening ?? Let us hear what you grow
Isaac
Old 03-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I don't have a garden in my yard, but I do know some about natural pest control. My favorite variety of pest control is carnivorous insects and plants. Certain breeds of spiders work well. A nest of praying mantises will also keep bugs down. I like mantises myself. They are lovely insects and eat tons of prey as some grow to impressive sizes. You can often obtain a small nest attached to a branch at your local nurseries if the time of year is right. Every nest can hatch hundreds of mantises and they eat other bugs like mad!

Carnivorous plants (pitcher plants, venus fly traps, etc.) are just plain fun to watch. If you have enough of them, they can control the pest population quite effectively. Unfortunately, you shouldn't plant them in your yard around here. They require much moisture and cooler temperatures. They work better in-doors and watered frequenty.

Carnivorous plants are typically small and can be grown in a hanging pot of peat moss soil by the dozen. If you have several in a hanging pot in your home, you can also hang a small, dripping container of water over them to keep their top-soil wet.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #9
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Anime I kind of liked you until you mentioned spiders! There are a few things in this world that just scare the bejesus out of me and I have no tolerance for them good or bad.... they are.... #1 SNAKES #2 SPIDERS. They have to go, all of them!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Anime I kind of liked you until you mentioned spiders! There are a few things in this world that just scare the bejesus out of me and I have no tolerance for them good or bad.... they are.... #1 SNAKES #2 SPIDERS. They have to go, all of them!
Awww! You never saw Charolette's Web as a child. She was a good spider.

Seriously though, that's understandable. A lot of people dislike that same combination. I don't like snakes or spiders either. However, if I see a spider killing bugs in the yard and I know it isn't the poisonous type that will bite people, I'd leave it there to do its thing. If one got in the house, I'd probably sweep him up and put him outside. Snakes, on the other hand, do have to go.

If spiders and other carnivorous insects didn't exist, other insect populations would be so enormous that you'd wish carnivorous insects did exist.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
LOL reminds me of the night, it was raining cats and dogs outside.. It was like 1am and I was sleeping, wife was up, with the back door open, watching T.V... anyways, next thing you know, she's waking me up, hollering "There's a SNAKE in the LIVING ROOM!!" So there I am down stairs with a damn shovel trying to kill this snake. Anyways, I got 'em. LOL And don't get me started about the time there was a BAT in the bedroom !!! LOL

And o.k. all you local snake experts.. what kind of snake is this.. which I found outside my kids window one day.. brought to our attention by a bunch of little birdies all going "TWEET TWEET TWEET!!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0185.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	604.6 KB
ID:	162  

Name:	DCP_0186.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	633.2 KB
ID:	163  

Name:	DCP_0187.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	164  

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Its best not to kill the non-venomous species, as they are beneficial.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #13
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Any other avatars out there do any gardening ?? Let us hear what you grow
I grow a garden Isaac. I mainly have tomatos but I also grow peppers and cucumbers. This year, I'm trying some egg plants too on a whim. But it's lunker tomatos that I'm after. BLT sandwiches are my trophy.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:04 AM   #14
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rhertz, from the shape of his head I would say that's a bad guy. So off with the head I say!!!! Good riddance. And Al I don't care what you say, even though I love you, there is no such thing as a good snake in my garden if it scares me, ok? Like one year I was weeding my flowers and went to grab a handful and holy mackeral right at my hand was a snake. Boom! He got the shotgun therapy. So back to weeding I go....few minutes later a copperhead slithers by my hand. Well, that one scared me so bad I almost needed CPR! He too got the shotgun therapy. I didn't weed the flowerbeds for about 2 years after that.

I don't mind spiders as long as they are outside. If they are in the house, so long. It's just a thing, a girly thing, but I don't like them. Did I mention all the June bugs out right now are creepy too!!!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:01 AM   #15
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Such a sissy for a country girl

Quote:
Rhertz, from the shape of his head I would say that's a bad guy. So off with the head I say!!!! Good riddance. And Al I don't care what you say, even though I love you, there is no such thing as a good snake in my garden if it scares me, ok? Like one year I was weeding my flowers and went to grab a handful and holy mackeral right at my hand was a snake. Boom! He got the shotgun therapy. So back to weeding I go....few minutes later a copperhead slithers by my hand. Well, that one scared me so bad I almost needed CPR! He too got the shotgun therapy. I didn't weed the flowerbeds for about 2 years after that.

I don't mind spiders as long as they are outside. If they are in the house, so long. It's just a thing, a girly thing, but I don't like them. Did I mention all the June bugs out right now are creepy too!!!!!
So all this time I thought you were so tuff ? Girly girl I don't like spiders and snakes Get the gun Jed we need to give the treatment to this here critter. Call home boy up to weed the garden I just may faint. Boys don't let her fool you she is a powder puff
Isaac