Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > World News

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashr
Likewise, the authors of the Bible were not prophets. They were simple men who wrote stories that involved their god. Not unlike Homer, wouldn't you say?
There were dozens of divinely inspired writers who contributed to the Bible over hundreds of years. Some were prophets, some were disciples, some prisoners, but all had the spirit of God in their minds, hearts, and souls. We know this because they plainly said so. Contrast that to Homer recording fables or Dr Seuss writing stories. Even if such fables or stories hold some truth, this would have no bearing one way or the other on the validity of the Bible.

Quote:
No I'm not, but you certainly cannot prove that he did exist either.
In large part, my proof is that the majority of people on the planet (Christians, Jews, and Muslims) believe he existed. That is considerable evidence. How many believe that Greek Mythology is the one true religion? I cannot name a single person who believes such. Do you believe the Iliad and Odyssey are non-fictional works that are historical and religious in context?

Quote:
I have no problem with the concept that he was just a man preaching a message of peace....it's the "miracles" I refuse to believe.
Then you have never witnessed a “miracle” yourself? Have you ever prayed in Christ’s name and had your prayer answered? If not, then it comes as little surprise that you have no faith in Christ. I find that most people who believe in Christ do so out of personal experience. In other words, seeing is believing. Likewise have you prayed to Zeus and then witnessed your prayer answered against all odds? Is so, then I can understand why you believe in what you do. Again seeing is believing.

Quote:
The "problem" here is that, as with the astronomy thread, you are relying on the majority as your "proof". Religion is not democracy, and just like with the flat-Earth concept, it is quite possible for the majority to be completely and entirely wrong.
Are you saying that statistically speaking, the vast majority of people on earth are more often wrong than right? I happen to believe that mankind is more often right than wrong, and so do most modern scholars and psychologists. The “problem” is usually when an individual thinks the world is wrong yet he or she is right. Certainly, there is always the remote possibility that the whole world is wrong and that you are right, in which case the correct action is to keep your mouth shut about it. Why?

You and society are linked together whether you like it or not. To know the truth, you have to believe in something and then act on it. Society will give you plenty of feedback. This site is one example. Now if society decides to hang you for heresy or treason then at least you will die secure in the knowledge that you contributed something to our party!

Quote:
So I'll ask you again, can you even prove that Jesus existed or is the Bible and faith all you have, all you've ever had, and all you ever will have?
Proof:
- Documentation: Old and New Testament, Dead Sea Scrolls, nearly all of Theology
- World Consensus: Substantial statistical proof that Jesus existed
- Experience: As a Christian, I am a living testament to the miracles I have witnessed and prayers than I have seen answered against all odds.
- Even the number of “Bible codes” would suggest this is not your average book

Quote:
The belief/worship of the Greek Gods is an "alternate belief".
Islam is an alternate belief. Buddhism is an alternate belief.
To put mythology on par with Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, etc. puts you in a tiny minority statistically speaking, and possibly matching those who believe Man did not land on the moon, or that the WTC towers was as inside job, or that the world is still flat.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote