Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #31
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett
Does anyone remember stretch armstrong? Or the clackers that were made out of some type of glass in the 60's? They were gorgeous and stopped making them I assume due to the danger of them cracking. I know I had a couple of them now they are plastic and not the same.

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/articles/stretchindex.shtml

I found this about the clackers and the description is to the T

I want to know the name of this 1970's toy. It was comprised of a plastic ring. To the ring were secured two strings. Each string was in turn connected to a glass sphere. The object was to hold the ring and flip your wrist in order to make the two glass balls strike each other. This made a clicking sound. Shortly after marketing, the toy was recalled because the glass balls were breaking and causing injuries to eyes.
Oh man, "Stretch Armstrong" was great...I never had one myself but a friend did. And wasnt there another "stretch" character, some green monster guy that was supposedly Stretch Armstrong's arch enemy? I vaguely recall the clacker toy you refer to, Scarlett, but Im kinda fuzzy on that.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #32
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
I just thought of another "age test"...who remembers "Ultra Man"? How about "Captain Scarlett"?
Those may have actually been after my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Or how about "Dark Shadows", with Barnabus Collins? Or how about the monday night "Creature Feature"? Buwhahahaha
Now I do remember Dark Shadows. Another favorite was Night Gallery. but I don't remember "Creature Feature".

I do remember "Dialing for Dollars" which always hosted a scary B&W movie. It lasted a long time. Years later, I actually got called once, but I wasn't home and my answering machine picked up.

Other old time favorites were two local afternoon shows called Papa John's on KSLA and the Laught Alot Club on KTBS where kids got to be on TV between the cartoons during the breaks.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #33
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Speaking of Ultraman

I think ultraman ran from like 1966-'67
And for your viewing pleasure. here's Episode one, in 3 parts..
I used to watch it as a kid, coming home after school.. it was already in re-runs by the time i saw it

Episode 1 part 1

Episode 1 part 2

Episode 1 part 3
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #34
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
How about Rock’em Sock’em Robots? I had just about every toy that was ever made. I think my father wanted a son and bought me every boy type toy there was, including a mini bike and 3-wheeler.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #35
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Does anyone remember pet rocks? I still have one LOL
Old 03-12-2007, 10:56 PM   #36
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Does anyone remember pet rocks? I still have one LOL
"He made a million dollars.."

Rock 'em Sock 'em robots.. seems there was always one of the guys, where his head would just pop off as soon as things got started.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:58 AM   #37
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Ha! Yeah, my family had a "pet rock" back in the 70's too. Some genius took a rock, glued a bit of brillo-like "hair" on it, glued a pair of "eyes" on it and sure as hell, we bought one. It occupied an honored place on the bookshelf in our living room, along with various other knickknacks. Yeah, LateNight is exactly right about the "Rock Em Sock Em Robots"...there was always one of the two that had the head that popped off easier than the other. Theres a pretty neat truck commercial on the TV these days featuring the Rock Em Sock Em's.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:07 AM   #38
scarlett
Advanced Member

I know this maybe a girl thing but does anyone remember "gee your hair smells terrific" shampoo? I used it faithfully throughout my teen years and I guess it just went away and I never noticed.

http://www.geeyourhairsmellsterrific.com/catalog/

It really did smell awesome
Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #39
scarlett
Advanced Member

I am loving this thread if any of you can tell. Ok how many of you had this one?

http://www.timewarptoys.com/kkar1.jpg

I did!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #40
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
I know this maybe a girl thing but does anyone remember "gee your hair smells terrific" shampoo? I used it faithfully throughout my teen years and I guess it just went away and I never noticed.
http://www.geeyourhairsmellsterrific.com/catalog/
It really did smell awesome
LOL I remember the commercials for it..

Quote:
But Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific® shampoo is the one thing on your late 70s and 80s wish list that you won't ever find in thrift shops. In fact, you won't find it anywhere in the world - except for the Philippines.

Who cares, you ask? A rabid cult following of shampoo-crazed women roaming the Internet and duking it out with each other on ebay.

Jergens launched Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific® in 1974. It was mysteriously discontinued in the late 80s, much to the continued, prolonged, and loud chagrin of its devotees.

What's the big deal?

Men loved this shampoo. Like some perfumes, it seemed to travel on a mysterious channel running straight from the olfactory processor to the gonads. It was a little spicy, a little flowery - it was the madonna and the whore of shampoos. And it lasted - from the bus ride to school, to the bus ride back. No hapless boys ever found their intense morning attraction waning on the way home. No, no. Au contraire.

And Remember Tiger Beat magazine? Remember the interview with David Cassidy saying he loved the smell of a girl's hair washed with Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific®?

If you don't, many do. And they're the same women combing the Web in search of this miraculous substance, writing pleading letters to Vibelle Manufacturing Corporation in the Philippines (they bought the discontinued formula from Jergens, fueling speculation that the death of Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific® in America was an FDA matter), and kvetching about the new Filipino bottles with a floral design. (The original came in an unforgettable purple bottle with the whole, gloriously long, rainbow colored name in the rounded capital letters so popular with graphic designers at the time, and set off by quotation marks.)

So, Why Did Jergens Discontinue It?

This remains a mystery. Some believe that the formula for Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific® involved one or more of the following: occult substances such as eye of newt and tongue of bat, the harvesting of which now falls under the rubric of animal cruelty, fetal tissue, crack cocaine, formaldehyde (this is actually true), whale sperm, radioactive minx glands, or advanced alien technology. The only thing that's certain is that Jergens ain't telling. They send out extremely cryptic and weird messages to those who inquire as to its whereabouts.

Where Can I Get My Own?

Gird your virtual loins, and get into the massive North American smackdown over the few precious bottles floating around up here. That or find a friend in the Philippines willing to do some bartering.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #41
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
I am loving this thread if any of you can tell. Ok how many of you had this one?

http://www.timewarptoys.com/kkar1.jpg

I did!
Oh yea, i remember those, friend of mine had a couple of them. They were better than big wheels But the Green Machine was the bomb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	greenmachine.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	138  

Old 03-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #42
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
How about Rock’em Sock’em Robots? I had just about every toy that was ever made. I think my father wanted a son and bought me every boy type toy there was, including a mini bike and 3-wheeler.
I remember Rock'em Sockem Robots! "You knocked by block off!" LOL, that would make a good flash or movie clip of them talking like AnimeSpirit's Gas clip.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #43
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

OK, one more. Who remembers Quick Draw Mcgraw and Baba-Looey? How about Huckleberry Hound?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #44
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
OK, one more. Who remembers Quick Draw Mcgraw and Baba-Looey? How about Huckleberry Hound?
LOL even better was when Quick Draw would play the Vigilante "El Kabong"

How 'bout when Quick Draw (A horse mind you) would come into town riding a more realistic Horse.

Showed debuted in 1959. Before my time, but I saw him in plenty of reruns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quick draw-002.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	140  

Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 PM   #45
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
LOL even better was when Quick Draw would play the Vigilante "El Kabong"

How 'bout when Quick Draw (A horse mind you) would come into town riding a more realistic Horse.

Showed debuted in 1959. Before my time, but I saw him in plenty of reruns.
HaHa! Thats like "Goofy" (a dog), had "Pluto" a pet dog! Just somethin fundamentally wrong with that!