Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Halloween

What is the origin of this holiday Isaac?????????anybody???????? Yes I know I can google it but I want to hear it from the perspective of some of the folks on this board.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
As far as I'm concerned, Charles Schultz invented Halloween!

rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle View Post
What is the origin of this holiday Isaac?????????anybody???????? Yes I know I can google it but I want to hear it from the perspective of some of the folks on this board.
Halloween celebrates the Pagan new year, also called Samhain. It was once called All Hollows Eve and before that, All Saints Day. This date marks the third harvest festival and beginning of the yearly rule of the Goddess during the absense of her male counterpart (represented by the absense of the Sun and the coming of the winter months).

During this time, the veil between the worlds of the living and dead are at its thinnest, allowing the spirits of the recently deceased to return for this night and walk the Earth one last time. The Pagans use this night to honor the dead (a sort of post-funeral acknowledgement) with libations of food and drink. We light candles to sit on our doorsteps and window sills to light their way in the dark. These practices are where trick-or-treating (candy for kids dressed as spirits) and jack-o-lanterns are from.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Stacy Love

Rep Power: 0 Stacy Love is on a distinguished road Stacy Love is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit View Post
Halloween celebrates the Pagan new year, also called Samhain. It was once called All Hollows Eve and before that, All Saints Day. This date marks the third harvest festival and beginning of the yearly rule of the Goddess during the absense of her male counterpart (represented by the absense of the Sun and the coming of the winter months).

During this time, the veil between the worlds of the living and dead are at its thinnest, allowing the spirits of the recently deceased to return for this night and walk the Earth one last time. The Pagans use this night to honor the dead (a sort of post-funeral acknowledgement) with libations of food and drink. We light candles to sit on our doorsteps and window sills to light their way in the dark. These practices are where trick-or-treating (candy for kids dressed as spirits) and jack-o-lanterns are from.
awww you beat me to it but I couldnt have said it better myself.Its my fav day of the year so much so that i was married on halloween lol
Stacy Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Love View Post
awww you beat me to it but I couldnt have said it better myself.Its my fav day of the year so much so that i was married on halloween lol
Congrats on finding you a home! Too bad you are married Texasbelle had been trying to set Anime up, but had difficulties due to his pagan beliefs! You might have made a nice fit! Oh well maybe you know some single witches he could date!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:59 AM   #6
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Anime!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:

During this time, the veil between the worlds of the living and dead are at its thinnest, allowing the spirits of the recently deceased to return for this night and walk the Earth one last time. The Pagans use this night to honor the dead (a sort of post-funeral acknowledgment) with libations of food and drink. We light candles to sit on our doorsteps and window sills to light their way in the dark. These practices are where trick-or-treating (candy for kids dressed as spirits) and jack-o-lanterns are from.
Well Anime you told it like it is. I respect you for that even though I do not agree with the practice. Night of the Hollowed Spirits I do think Mrs. LOVE could help you find you a nice witch to go out with Hey maybe Halloween night you could hook up and have a brew and talk about it.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
Well Anime you told it like it is. I respect you for that even though I do not agree with the practice.
It's funny you say that since most holidays have some Pagan decent, even Christmas.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
It's funny you say that since most holidays have some Pagan decent, even Christmas.
I could not agree more Anime ! Let us not forget the Easter Bunny
Funny how a non Christan can see these things clear as a bell but the so called church people play right into the hands of the great lie. Better to be hot or cold than luke warm !!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for your post Anime
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote