Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Hobbies & Crafts

Notices

Old 12-13-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
Cichlid Man

Keeping live coral aquariums

Anybody out there keep live coral ? Very fun hobby that can be done all year long no matter the weather. Fun to learn about and not that hard to keep them in a home aquarium. Some people frag coral which is to propagate small
pieces and then they trade or sell them.
Cichlid Man
Old 03-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Old Soul

Rep Power: 0 Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice
I do! I have several reef tanks. Facinating, aren't they?
Old Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
Cichlid Man

Old soul just how long have you been in the hobby ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soul
I do! I have several reef tanks. Facinating, aren't they?
I have been doing it for years and they just keep getting better filtration and lighting so the kind of corals that we get are getting better too. I have a 270 gallon reef tank and one that is a 125 gallon all coral . Do you do any fraging of corals?
Cichlid Man
Old 03-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
Old Soul

Rep Power: 0 Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice Old Soul is just really nice
No, I'm not at that level of expertise yet. LOL. I did manage to get sea horses to breed in captivity though!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Neo
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 228 Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of
I have a 135 reef tank, but no sea horses. I have not had good experiences with seahorses. Do you find your coral and fish local or on the web?
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
Old Soul

The secret to sea horses is in what you feed them. I stay away from brine shrimp, I find they pollute the water more than anything else. I keep a 10 gallon for live food such as grass shrimp and feeder guppies. I feed the shrimp and guppies marine flakes. I scoop out a few shrimp and guppies, a few times a day to feed the sea horses with.

I ordered the sea horses but I can't remember the company. It was a few years ago. I ordered about 10 and split it with a few friends. They all fed brine shrimp and their horses died within months. None of theirs bred.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
Brutus

Rep Power: 0 Brutus is a jewel in the rough Brutus is a jewel in the rough Brutus is a jewel in the rough
I am new to the North Louisiana and would like to know were are the best places to purchase a reef ready tank and coral in the Shreveport/Bossier area. Thank you for your help!
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
If you look on this board, there is an advertisement for Aquarium Concepts. It's a great store. The owner is a very nice man and very helpful. We have a tank at my husband's office and Aquarium Concepts takes care of it. We have used them for years and never been anything but pleased. Good luck. I think the phone number is 318 798 3474 and it's on E. 70th Street.
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Yea that pet store owner has poor Nemo traped in a box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
If you look on this board, there is an advertisement for Aquarium Concepts. It's a great store. The owner is a very nice man and very helpful. We have a tank at my husband's office and Aquarium Concepts takes care of it. We have used them for years and never been anything but pleased. Good luck. I think the phone number is 318 798 3474 and it's on E. 70th Street.
Nemo and Dorie are doing time in the box and it is a life sentence
if they could just make it back to the sea they would be OK could some one please help poor Nemo and Dorie
Name:  clownfish.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  10.7 KB Click image for larger version

Name:	HippoTangFin.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	283
Isaac Saxxon
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
Cichlid Man

Talking Cichlid Man here did I hear someone say FISH

Always best to buy your fish and coral where you can view them up close. On line coral and fish can be as tricky as ebay. Aquarium Concepts and other local retailers have livestock for you to look at. It will not take long to figure out who keeps the best tanks one stroll through and you have it. The Petco and Petsmart do not carry marine livestock other than a few fish. Yes Aquarium Concepts is the place to be even for Nemo he has a good life there and does not want to leave his owner So take a look at the web site on this board and call 798-FISH and talk to the Fish Doctor
Cichlid Man reporting
Old 04-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #11
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Anyone want some Black Mollies?!?!?!

We just had some 30 or so infant Black Mollies born just yesterday. They are still in a breeder, away from their parents. In the meantime, we'd like to start looking for people who'd like some mollies for their aquariums because we've got far too many now and only one 10-gallon tank.

They need some time to grow a little, but if anyone would like some black mollies, just let me know. I don't think we're gonna be charging for them because we gotta get rid of of them as soon as they start getting big enough.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
No mollies for me Anime but I think I found Nemo

Rhertz did you have anything to do with this
Click image for larger version

Name:	nemo-sushi.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	288
That is sick, sick, sick they are suppose to take the eyes out first
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #13
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid Man
Anybody out there keep live coral ? Very fun hobby that can be done all year long no matter the weather. Fun to learn about and not that hard to keep them in a home aquarium. Some people frag coral which is to propagate small
pieces and then they trade or sell them.
I used to have a reef tank many years ago. I followed the technology up until about 8 years ago and got to busy at home and work. But I do remember the advent of such things as "dry filters", "metal halide lamps", "calcium reactors", and so on.

Anytime I travel, I try to stop by any public aquariums that might be around. San Francisco has the Stienhard Aquarium (sp?) in Golden Gate Park. It's awesome. Went to the Wakiki Aquarium on my honeymoon 24 years ago next month.

To me, aquariums are like boats. I really enjoy them, especially when someone else owns it! But who knows, maybe someday I might get back in. Sometimes I think about a koi pond, but then my back starts hurting....
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #14
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Rhertz did you have anything to do with this
Attachment 288
Isaac
Looks like something Neo would eat.
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #15
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Rhertz did you have anything to do with this.
heh, heh, heh, you know its fresh when it still has the eyes in it. If they are clear, then it's really fresh. And if they are blinking at me, then I know it is the freshest fish available!! (duck)

Sorry I hope I am not offending Cichlid Man. Just joking here..
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote