Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Sports

Notices

Old 05-15-2007, 08:00 PM   #16
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Congratulations to your daughter Sheba!!!!! What college is she going to? That GPA with TOPS ought to have her some great scholarships!

Now that we live in Texas we do not get the advantage of TOPS although we still pay LA State Income Tax.
Thanks TB!! She is still deciding - she is actually graduating a year early, so she's making life decisions when she has just turned 17. She's staying close to home for the first year of college, which makes me very happy, of course!!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:17 AM   #17
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
I thought about this thread for awhile and needed to add to it. My daughter also graduated from Evangel with a 4.2. She attended Caddo Middle Magnet for Middle School. The work and courses she did her sixth grade year at MM she did the same work her ninth grade year at Evangel. This repeated for her sophomore year and so on. She never had homework and rarely studied for test. My daughter breezed through school and graduated with honors. Now you can argue that she must be intelligent to have done this with no studying, etc. I know different though having been the PTA president at Evangel and having witnessed daily what went on at the school. She wasn't challenged at all or prepared for college. It was just a walk in the park. It's a very different scenario for my son who is now graduating from Calvary. Yes, both schools are much better environments than the public schools and I would never take that away from either school.

People and supporters of each school are going to see what they want to see in each school. The best way I learned about each school is by now having had a student at each and by being involved with both. I did not bury my head in the sand and believe everything I heard or was told, but rather did my homework while involved with both.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #18
Neo
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 228 Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of
Did not mean to hurt your feelings, however, I do not know the acting owner of Evangle nor do I know how to spell his name. Likewise with the acting owner of Calvary. One Reason I say this about the schools in general is from competing with graduates from those schools and found, those graduates, they where not as prepared as I. Another reason for my statement, I have several friends from Evangel and they make it sound like there is a high turnover rate of faculty which in turn creates discontinuity for the students. Last on the list, I have heard the teachers are contracted or self-employed and this concerns me from a tax standpoint. Is the school being used as a tax shelter or trying not pay the appropriate taxes on their workers?

What is the SACS (I am not familiar)?
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #19
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I am going to have to take a stand FOR public schools! My girls have all had good educational experiences! Maybe alot of it has to do with your school zones but ours happens to be really good. BC has the AIM program for the kids that need an extra challenge. They have honors and accelerated classes for those that need them. They can take BPCC classes while still in high school. They also are well rounded in sports and all types of scholastic extracurricular activities. I went to private school and it was great, but we were/are so confident in our children's schools that we thought it would be an unnecessary waste of money to send them there when our local schools were offering everything we needed. It is true that it is a personal decision! The majority of the kids in our neighborhood go to the neighborhood schools. I can only think of a handful that don't.
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #20
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas
I am going to have to take a stand FOR public schools! My girls have all had good educational experiences! Maybe alot of it has to do with your school zones but ours happens to be really good. BC has the AIM program for the kids that need an extra challenge. They have honors and accelerated classes for those that need them. They can take BPCC classes while still in high school. They also are well rounded in sports and all types of scholastic extracurricular activities. I went to private school and it was great, but we were/are so confident in our children's schools that we thought it would be an unnecessary waste of money to send them there when our local schools were offering everything we needed. It is true that it is a personal decision! The majority of the kids in our neighborhood go to the neighborhood schools. I can only think of a handful that don't.
Pokie I am for public schools too. I think the kids need to learn to live in the real world of a true cross section of society.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:26 PM   #21
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Unfortunately we live in the Waskom school district and to us that was not an option. Therefore we choose to send our children to private schools in Shreveport. After our whole Evangel experience, we moved one to Calvary and decided to homeschool the other. The homeschooler is the more gifted of the three and learning far more at home than Calvary or Evangel could ever offer. It's truly a choice every parent must decide for themselves but need to be as informed as possible when making the decision.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:38 AM   #22
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
I would think it would have so much to do with the student and their drive to learn and a the individual teacher wanting to teach. You might be grouping just a little to much together. Their are good teachers and bad just like doctors Same goes in public schools.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:01 AM   #23
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Unfortunately we live in the Waskom school district and to us that was not an option. Therefore we choose to send our children to private schools in Shreveport. After our whole Evangel experience, we moved one to Calvary and decided to homeschool the other. The homeschooler is the more gifted of the three and learning far more at home than Calvary or Evangel could ever offer. It's truly a choice every parent must decide for themselves but need to be as informed as possible when making the decision.
I'm with TB. The public school choices for our district did not fit our kids. Evangel has been an excellent fit for our daughter. Our son is in a public magnet school where I teach, and that's a great experience. I am not a huge supporter of homeschooling the masses, but again, you have to take all things into consideration and make the decisions for your family. Though both my children are high achievers, they are very different and so are their schooling needs.

I say do you homework as a parent. Look at the info, talk to parents from schools you are looking at, visit the classrooms, observe the teachers in action - be informed. Then prayerfully decide.

And as in everything, you will find those who agree and those who disagree. That's why there's a church on every corner and thus, this forum flourishes.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #24
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

I am going to pay my taxes so I will have my child in that school. Now if I need to move to better my children and I did 18 years ago from Shreveport to Bossier then so be it. If someone wants to send their children to private or church school OK by me will just make more room for other students in public schools. I moved after my oldest came home from first grade using black slang in a mostly white school with a black teacher. Case by case I know but the trend did not look good and looking back what a great move. South Bossier Schools are one of the best kept secrets around. I wonder which one of the private schools is the best kept secret ??
Old 05-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #25
Sheba
Advanced Member

Just wanting to see the sparks fly, Isaac?

It would appear that each has his/her own opinion about that, and we are all very happy with our opinion. Trying to pick an argument, big cat???
Old 05-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #26
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba
It would appear that each has his/her own opinion about that, and we are all very happy with our opinion. Trying to pick an argument, big cat???
I am the Bible thumper now the big cat is on the side lion Me pick an argument ? Just like adult debate among those who would know the facts on those two schools that is all