Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Technology

Notices

Old 05-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post No YouTube! No MySpace! - Pentagon

The Defense Department will begin blocking access "worldwide" to YouTube, MySpace and 11 other popular Web sites on its computers and networks, according to a memo sent Friday by Gen. B.B. Bell, the U.S. Forces Korea commander.

sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Oh sure, that'll work! Hey guys, let's get off work and run to MWR to use their computers! :sarcasm:
Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Well the REALLY sad part is lots of people who work in an office environment simply can't be trusted to NOT "play" on the internet while they are being PAID (in this case by tax dollars) to do a job that I can guess with 99.999999% accuracy has absolutely nothing to do with Youtube or MySpace
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl_admin
The Defense Department will begin blocking access "worldwide" to YouTube, MySpace and 11 other popular Web sites on its computers and networks, according to a memo sent Friday by Gen. B.B. Bell, the U.S. Forces Korea commander.
I bet this has as much to do with "network congestion" as anything else. sites like Youtube and software like Limewire can have major implications on network performance almost like a bad virus or hacker can inflict. Firewalling is just part of network integrity and the Defense Department above all should keep the fat on the network down to a minimum. Saving labor costs or tax payer dollars is likely not part of the problem, especially with these overseas transcontinent and sat links which are expensive.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Millipede

Rep Power: 0 Millipede has a spectacular aura about Millipede has a spectacular aura about Millipede has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Millipede Send a message via Yahoo to Millipede
Well, as a user of these military networks...I have to agree that they are slow. Though I am sure a lot of tax payer money is wasted by the casual browser who should probably be doing something productive.
Millipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
While I was in the military, I work in an office and there were times when there was nothing to do, especially during weekend duty. During a duty weekend, productivity was the last thing on my mind, especially during the evening.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
While I was in the military, I work in an office and there were times when there was nothing to do, especially during weekend duty. During a duty weekend, productivity was the last thing on my mind, especially during the evening.

I kind of think that's the point.

Very few people will find extra work for themselves when they are "caught up" if they can find something entertaining to do. So they are eliminating a presumably significant portion of their, "lost wages", if you will, by eliminating access to the 2 most frequently visited entertainment sites on the 'net today.

Edit: Well, maybe not eliminating, but certainly putting a big dent in it.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Myspace and Youtube weren't near as well-known back when I was in and we still found places to go. If it's not one site, it's definitely another.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:03 PM   #9
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Myspace and Youtube weren't near as well-known back when I was in and we still found places to go. If it's not one site, it's definitely another.

Oh no question or argument there what so ever.

I just generally tend to favor some sort of attempt at resolving the problem as opposed to doing nothing at all. Same with the war on terror....I probably would have executed it differently, but I'm glad we finally have a man in the White House willing to not only acknowledge the problem, but actually has the balls to address the issue as well.

...but in theory, if your options were to sit in a chair doing nothing or do some extra work pertaining to your job....most people would prefer some activity over doing absolutely nothing.....and in my opinion, that's enough justification to block access to entertainment sites on work computers.