Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Tragedy at home tonight...

Since most of us are pet lovers and most have children I think you'll all relate to my story.

Little boy Belle, the 12 y /o, has a pet rabbit Inky. Inky has spent the last two years living in a luxury cage we had our carpenter's build for him. This afternoon I was outside watering flowers and noticed Inky outside his cage on the ground. Quick reminder...we have seven dogs. These dogs were all outside with me. I immediately began calling all of them to take them inside but not before Christian, the smallest Yorkie, noticed the rabbit! The chase was on! Christian, Chanel, and Max (all Yorkies) chasing Inky. I was screaming for my older son to come help in hopes we could catch Inky before the bigger dogs discovered what was going on. Well, the rabbit just fell out in the pasture. The Yorkies just stood and sniffed her, not quite sure what to do with her now that they had her down. I picked her up and could not find anything wrong with her. She was just breathing hard and scared. I put her back in her cage and she hopped off to her favorite corner.

I took the dogs in and went back many minutes later. Inky was laid out in the cage seemingly in shock. We brought her inside to cool her off and check her out a little further. She just laid in my arms and didn't seem to be physically hurt on the outside but just shocky. We tried giving her water, etc but Inky passed away tonight.

Little Belle has experienced the first loss of a pet and is quite upset. He has requested a morning burial with a cross over the grave. He held her for a long time after her passing telling her how sorry he was and how much he loved her. It's really sad to watch your child endure the loss of their pet. I just thought I'd share knowing how close most of us on the board are to our pets.