Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > World News

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator
 
sbl_admin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 1,965
Rep Power: 183 sbl_admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Mother Teresa Struggled With Her Faith

Jesus has a very special love for you. As for me, the silence and the emptiness is so great that I look and do not see, listen and do not hear.
Mother Teresa to the Rev. Michael Van Der Peet, September 1979


sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
GuardChief
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 0 GuardChief has a spectacular aura about GuardChief has a spectacular aura about GuardChief has a spectacular aura about
Does anyone find this surprising? She's Mother Teresa, yeah, but she's only human, and humans inherently have existential doubts and all of the associated emotions that this entails. I found myself pondering this as I considered the oblivion and extinction of self that death most likely represents. This line of thought would inevitably lead one to conclude that it really doesnt matter how we comport ourselves in life. Would, that is, if one truly held no hope. What a profoundly sad situation this atheism thing must be! Since it makes little sense to live a life devoid of meaning, you've gotta wonder if any true living atheists exist, presumably since anyone who could truthfully say such a thing about themselves would've already committed suicide.

Yes, all we really have is hope. Without it, we have nothing! Less than nothing.
GuardChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
MattyMattyChooChoo
Member
 
MattyMattyChooChoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Shreveport
Posts: 86
Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
Jesus Christ even struggled with his faith "My God, why have you abandoned me?"

Everyone struggles with their faith. Saints throughout history have written about their struggles. Everyone struggles. It is good to read about recent potential saints and their struggles. We relate better to them because we followed their lives.
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
GuardChief
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 0 GuardChief has a spectacular aura about GuardChief has a spectacular aura about GuardChief has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMattyChooChoo View Post
Jesus Christ even struggled with his faith "My God, why have you abandoned me?"

Everyone struggles with their faith. Saints throughout history have written about their struggles. Everyone struggles. It is good to read about recent potential saints and their struggles. We relate better to them because we followed their lives.
Excellent point, Matt. Of course, one would'nt expect Him to have any doubts, since presumably He knows for certain. That He struggled with the question does nothing to bolster hope.
GuardChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran
 
AnimeSpirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nowhere
Age: 35
Posts: 1,659
Rep Power: 184 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardChief View Post
Excellent point, Matt. Of course, one would'nt expect Him to have any doubts, since presumably He knows for certain. That He struggled with the question does nothing to bolster hope.
A life without struggle is a life with nothing to gain. No hopes, dreams, goals, amibitions, or anything that one could want or need in life. A man who has obtained everything in life, must then struggle to keep it. Even He has hopes and therefore, logically has struggles and hardships.

As Tom Hanks once said (referring particularly to baseball), "The Hard is what makes it great."
__________________
Confuscious says~
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran
 
rhertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,834
Rep Power: 217 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit View Post
As Tom Hanks once said (referring particularly to baseball), "The Hard is what makes it great."


I loved that movie, "A league of their own". Tom Hanks is my favorite actor. I even watched him on the tv show "Bosom Buddies".
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran
 
Isaac-Saxxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,421
Rep Power: 240 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMattyChooChoo View Post
Jesus Christ even struggled with his faith "My God, why have you abandoned me?"

Everyone struggles with their faith. Saints throughout history have written about their struggles. Everyone struggles. It is good to read about recent potential saints and their struggles. We relate better to them because we followed their lives.
This is one of the biggest mistakes made by people because they are not willing to read for themselves. Christ when addressing "God" would say Father not God !!!!! Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. ... this would also indicate that heaven is coming to earth and no one is going to be raptured out. The word rapture only occurs once in the Bible and is a mistranslation. Take some time to look it up !
Christ NEVER struggled with his faith NEVER !! He was teaching even up to his last words from the old testament. To say that Christ had doubt would be to bring him down as a mere mortal man and He is much, much more than that !!! Sorry here Matty this is not so much aimed at you as is people in general that will not pick up their Bible and read. Instead they let the stuffed shirt in the pulpit tell them what to think and were to send their money.

Christ was quoting the 22nd Psalm

To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David.

1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

2 O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.

3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

4 Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.

5 They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.

6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,

8 He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.


http://www.carm.org/kjv/Psalms/Psalm_22.htm
__________________
Maranatha
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran
 
Pocahontas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,691
Rep Power: 195 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
This is one of the biggest mistakes made by people because they are not willing to read for themselves. Christ when addressing "God" would say Father not God !!!!! Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. ... this would also indicate that heaven is coming to earth and no one is going to be raptured out. The word rapture only occurs once in the Bible and is a mistranslation. Take some time to look it up !
Christ NEVER struggled with his faith NEVER !! He was teaching even up to his last words from the old testament. To say that Christ had doubt would be to bring him down as a mere mortal man and He is much, much more than that !!! Sorry here Matty this is not so much aimed at you as is people in general that will not pick up their Bible and read. Instead they let the stuffed shirt in the pulpit tell them what to think and were to send their money.

Christ was quoting the 22nd Psalm

To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David.

1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

2 O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.

3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

4 Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.

5 They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.

6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,

8 He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.


http://www.carm.org/kjv/Psalms/Psalm_22.htm
Very true Isaac! Most people only know what they are taught by preachers in churches. I study the Bible on my own but still need much guidance from other sources as to help me with understanding the translations. The Sheperd's Chapel hosted by Arnold Murray is a fantastic tv program and resource. I was so surprised when I first began really listening and understanding! He's the first person that helped me make sense of the Bible.
http://www.shepherdschapel.com/:)
__________________
"The greater your capacity to love, the greater your capacity to feel the pain."

Jennifer Aniston

Last edited by Pocahontas; 08-25-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran
 
Isaac-Saxxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,421
Rep Power: 240 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Christianity is a reality not a religion. The Bible is written to the individual soul not the preacher. There are many great teachers of the Word but now days far and few between. The best thing is to pick up your Bible and read it and have a Concordance to help you study. I would say to any of you that attend church to listen to your preacher and just count how many verses he reads in the service. If he is teaching you will know it because he will read the Bible if not he is a bag of hot air. They skew the truth and fleece the flock. I have two verses for you that care to read.

Amos 8

11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:

12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.

You know why ? People have put their Bible away and rely on a blow hard to tell them what to believe. You want to unplug from the mainframe (matrix of sorts) then start thinking for yourself the spirit will fill you and true joy will be in your heart each and every day even when bad times hit you are strong.
Pokie good post and I am not here to judge any of you I have just put a lot of time in reading and understanding. PC Bible is a great study tool that you can buy for your computer. Six Bibles and many dictionaries and concordances.
I have had my rant but it comes deep from my heart.
__________________
Maranatha
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:30 AM   #10
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran
 
Isaac-Saxxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,421
Rep Power: 240 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl_admin View Post
Jesus has a very special love for you. As for me, the silence and the emptiness is so great that I look and do not see, listen and do not hear.
Mother Teresa to the Rev. Michael Van Der Peet, September 1979
Yet less than three months earlier, in a letter to a spiritual confidant, the Rev. Michael van der Peet, that is only now being made public, she wrote with weary familiarity of a different Christ, an absent one. "Jesus has a very special love for you," she assured Van der Peet. "[But] as for me, the silence and the emptiness is so great, that I look and do not see, Listen and do not hear the tongue moves [in prayer] but does not speak ... I want you to pray for me that I let Him have [a] free hand."

Mother Teresa was a good woman that helped many people through hard times. She was only human and the idea that one human can make another human into a saint ? She did what we all should do and that is to help out our brothers and sisters when they are down. She did not ask to be a saint but instead just reached out to help others.
__________________
Maranatha
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.7.2
Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
2008 Shreveport.com