Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #16
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
If the freedom haters ever manage to repeal the Second Amendment, ALL of the other RIGHTS will follow in short order...don't kid yourself about that. At THAT point, it'll be THE END OF AMERICA AS WE KNOW IT. But you're right Brain, as I stated in another thread, anyone who refuses to accept THAT version of America will be "de facto criminals", or anarchists. As for "trying to recruit other potential anarchists", I don't think I'll have to try very hard. I'm convinced that MOST people share my sentiments. As to your statement that "some of you have a nasty habit of butchering the English language", if you mean me, I just try to write the way I speak, and I do this by choice. Now if that causes you to question MY intelligence, then you're a fool, and you're either all alone or you're in the overwhelming minority.
While I'll concede that writing in slang may not be an indication of your "street smarts", it IS a direct indication of your "book smarts". Although I am surprised to see an amazing LACK of punctuation and spelling mistakes this go around.

However, I still contend that you're over reacting. No prominent politician is supporting increased gun control or outright bans, and the end of America as we know it?!?!?!? Dude, you need some Prozac or something....
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #17
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
The government is not the country, you can support one and oppose the other. Patriotism is devotion to ones country, not to one's government. George Bush works for me executing my wishes, not the other way around.

"[It is] the people, to whom all authority belongs."

"Whenever our affairs go obviously wrong, the good sense of the people will interpose and set them to rights."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them."

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere."

"Most codes extend their definitions of treason to acts not really against one's country. They do not distinguish between acts against the government, and acts against the oppressions of the government. The latter are virtues, yet have furnished more victims to the executioner than the former, because real treasons are rare; oppressions frequent. The unsuccessful strugglers against tyranny have been the chief martyrs of treason laws in all countries."

"The late rebellion in Massachusetts has given more alarm than I think it should have done. Calculate that one rebellion in thirteen states in the course of eleven years, is but one for each state in a century and a half. No country should be so long without one. Nor will any degree of power in the hands of government prevent insurrections."

-A guy named Thomas that knew a bit about how our country is supposed to work.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #18
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
While I'll concede that writing in slang may not be an indication of your "street smarts", it IS a direct indication of your "book smarts". Although I am surprised to see an amazing LACK of punctuation and spelling mistakes this go around.

However, I still contend that you're over reacting. No prominent politician is supporting increased gun control or outright bans, and the end of America as we know it?!?!?!? Dude, you need some Prozac or something....

Oh, I have plenty of "book smarts", and my punctuation, or lack thereof, is no worse than most...did'nt realize I was bein graded. And you'd be wrong about the number of prominent politicians who support draconian gun control, the names are too numerous to go into here. No thanks on the Prozac...I'll settle for a "Crown & 7".
Old 04-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #19
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
The government is not the country, you can support one and oppose the other. Patriotism is devotion to ones country, not to one's government. George Bush works for me executing my wishes, not the other way around.

"Whenever our affairs go obviously wrong, the good sense of the people will interpose and set them to rights."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them."

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere."

"Most codes extend their definitions of treason to acts not really against one's country. They do not distinguish between acts against the government, and acts against the oppressions of the government. The latter are virtues, yet have furnished more victims to the executioner than the former, because real treasons are rare; oppressions frequent. The unsuccessful strugglers against tyranny have been the chief martyrs of treason laws in all countries."

"The late rebellion in Massachusetts has given more alarm than I think it should have done. Calculate that one rebellion in thirteen states in the course of eleven years, is but one for each state in a century and a half. No country should be so long without one. Nor will any degree of power in the hands of government prevent insurrections."

Thanks Joe...and Thomas. Could'nt have said it better myself!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #20
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:

yup, tell it like it is there Joe. one quote there I've posted on here from time to time I think

Quote:
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #21
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:

Right off the bat, you're wrong. The President is an elected official, not a "servant of the public". His job is to use his best judgment as an elected official of the United States, not "execute your wishes".

BTW, you're obviously still confused about what a patriot is. That guy named Thomas was and American patriot rebelling against the ENGLISH government.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #22
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Right off the bat, you're wrong. The President is an elected official, not a "servant of the public". His job is to use his best judgment as an elected official of the United States, not "execute your wishes".

BTW, you're obviously still confused about what a patriot is. That guy named Thomas was and American patriot rebelling against the ENGLISH government.
I've decided you like to argue for the sake of argument. but what the hell.. o.k. I'll be a Louisiana patriot fighting against the forces of Washington .. how's that ?? geez louise..

you know what.. screw that, I won't even concede that.. simply speaking our definitions of a patriot differ.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #23
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, YOU are wrong right off the bat. ANYONE who works in government, be they elected or appointed is by definition a public servant. This just demonstrates how brainwashed you really are.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #24
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
No, YOU are wrong right off the bat. ANYONE who works in government, be they elected or appointed is by definition a public servant. This just demonstrates how brainwashed you really are.

And as a typical christian fool, you rely on belief rather than fact.

So, make the President "serve" you......Let's all get friday off, hotshot.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #25
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Quote:
And as a typical christian fool, you rely on belief rather than fact.

So, make the President "serve" you......Let's all get friday off, hotshot.
Dont be stupid, though I know thats askin alot from ya. Look up "public servant" if ya dont believe me. Just admit you're wrong and let it go.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #26
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Got to stick my nose in here

Rule #1 nobody admits they are wrong
Rule #2 same as rule #1
play ball boys
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #27
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
I've decided you like to argue for the sake of argument. but what the hell.. o.k. I'll be a Louisiana patriot fighting against the forces of Washington .. how's that ?? geez louise..

you know what.. screw that, I won't even concede that.. simply speaking our definitions of a patriot differ.
Since Louisiana is a member of the United States, you couldn't be loyal to Louisiana and oppose the federal government if we have not seceded from the federal government. If you were to break federal law you would not find save haven in Louisiana regardless of your perceived definition of patriotism as indicated above.

Speaking of states secededing.....This actually happened once upon a time in our nations history. The states that seceded from the Union were known as the confederate states and sometimes referred to as REBEL forces.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #28
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Dont be stupid, though I know thats askin alot from ya. Look up "public servant" if ya dont believe me. Just admit you're wrong and let it go.

I know the definition of public servant,

I'm asking you to make any elected official serve you or admit that we elected officials to use their best judgment when representing us in political affairs.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #29
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Quote:
I know the definition of public servant,

I'm asking you to make any elected official serve you or admit that we elected officials to use their best judgment when representing us in political affairs.

"Best Judgement" and "Will of The People" should be the same thing.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #30
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
"Best Judgement" and "Will of The People" should be the same thing.
How many times have you been polled before the President made a decision?
How about the Governor?
How about your mayor?

is the answer very rarely?