Post Felony conviction not enough to keep Shyne off City Council

Joe Shyne easily won election to get a seat on the Shreveport City Council
KTBS
SHREVEPORT_TIMES
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Edwards for Governor!!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:26 AM   #3
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
Edwards for Governor!!
LOL, so at least with Edwards, you knew what you were getting !
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
What is wrong with the people in Shreveport electing a convicted felon to a public office? You reap what you sow!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:34 PM   #5
Cadenza

Rep Power: 0 Cadenza will become famous soon enough Cadenza will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Cadenza
Electing a felon

I think it is pathetic! Green seemed like a pretty decent guy and they go for Shyne who reminds me of a junior version of Al Sharpton. But then, I never understood how Marion Berry kept getting elected in D.C., even after smoking crack on video for all to see. Could someone in the Black community please explain this phenomenon?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadenza
I think it is pathetic! Green seemed like a pretty decent guy and they go for Shyne who reminds me of a junior version of Al Sharpton. But then, I never understood how Marion Berry kept getting elected in D.C., even after smoking crack on video for all to see. Could someone in the Black community please explain this phenomenon?
Don't know if I'd hardly call this a "Black community" issue.. although you did bring up a few examples.. but heck, how many times did Edwards get elected ? We freakin' vote crooks into office all the freakin' TIME !!

I don't know ANYTHING about Shyne.. but the one difference between him and some other "politicians" is that he got caught !

LateNight.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Edwards

Edwards wasn't ever elected after his conviction.

He wouldn't have been elected the fourth time except for the fact that his opponent was David Duke.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
Edwards wasn't ever elected after his conviction.

He wouldn't have been elected the fourth time except for the fact that his opponent was David Duke.
LOL kind of my point though.. We all knew Edwards was a crook.. a running joke.. he just didn't get CAUGHT until after he was out of office.
And didn't David Duke go on to be elected as a congressman or something ???
Old 10-05-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Duke's political career

He's run for a bunch of stuff (US Senate, LA Governor, US President, etc.) but the only thing he ever won was LA State House of Representatives, and that was before his governor run.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
He's run for a bunch of stuff (US Senate, LA Governor, US President, etc.) but the only thing he ever won was LA State House of Representatives, and that was before his governor run.
LOL well, I guess we're just lucky he didn't win any other races ?
that guy always kind of scared me just a little bit
Old 10-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #11
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Duke

He probably wouldn't have been that bad as far as the actual functions of a governor go because there's not really much he could have done to hurt us (it's not like the governor has the power to pass legislation or repeal civil rights judgements) but if you thnk LA isn't respected by other states now, imagine how we would be viewed with David Duke as our elected governor. I'd much rather have the felon we got.

I was in high school for that election but even then I knew to pray for Edwards to win.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #12
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Edward is just a peg in the "Long" age of LA Politics

Our fine state has been up to there noses in under the table politics going
back decades. Our French Parish system has always been blind to the fact
that there is a "North LA" now that Katrina has come the covers have been
pulled back and my what a mess. Moral decline is the norm in politics in LA
and that includes Shreveport too. Our history serves us well as it repeats
itself all too often.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #13
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
"Long" age of LA Politics

As a teenager, my mom took me on a week long tour of Louisiana, one of the most memorable trips of my life. If nothing else, I felt that our state is rich with history. This was over 30 years ago. One place I vividly remember was sticking my fingers in the bullet holes at the steps of the state capital where Huey Long was shot. I am sort of surprised that there hasn't been a modern day box office movie made on this flamboyant character.
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:12 AM   #14
Cadenza

Rep Power: 0 Cadenza will become famous soon enough Cadenza will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Cadenza
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
Don't know if I'd hardly call this a "Black community" issue.. although you did bring up a few examples.. but heck, how many times did Edwards get elected ? We freakin' vote crooks into office all the freakin' TIME !!

I don't know ANYTHING about Shyne.. but the one difference between him and some other "politicians" is that he got caught !

LateNight.
I didn't intend to sound racist because that is not my orientation in the least. It just seems more prevalent and blatant there. I agree with the next post about being forced to choose the lesser of two evils on that particular governor's race. Yes, Shyne got caught and Jefferson got caught recently with the cold cash. But I don't think all politicians are corrupt in office. Taking a bribe is such a breach of trust that I could never vote for anyone who I knew had done so.