Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Government & Politics

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
War On The Middle Class

I've been trying to decide if this "site" is more democrat or more republican. To be honest I expected it to be all very far 'right', But that's not what I've seen.

I don't follow the news much, for I don't think anyone is covering the news all that well, what with everyone's own agenda.

Don't take this as an outright endorsement for CNN OR Lou Dobbs.. But I read a Lou Dobbs editorial the other day and I thought it was quite interesting.

He has a special report coming out October 18 about the "War On The Middle Class"

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I can't take seriously anyone who takes either the Republican Party or Democratic Party seriously -- in part because neither party takes you and me seriously; in part because both are bought and paid for by corporate America and special interests. And neither party gives a damn about the middle class.

Our country's middle class is not just collateral damage in what has become all-out class warfare. Political, business and academic elites are waging an outright war on working men and women and their families, and there is no chance the American middle class will survive this assault if the dominant forces unleashed over the past five years continue unchecked.
He goes on to blast both the Democrat and Republican parties.. in this article:

Middle class needs to fight back now

Quote:
According to the nonpartisan Center for Public Integrity, from 1998 through 2004, lobbyists spent nearly $12 billion to not only influence legislation, but in many cases to write the language of the laws and regulations.

Individual firms, corporations and national organizations spent a record $2.14 billion on lobbying members of Congress and 220 other federal agencies in 2004, according to PoliticalMoneyLine. That's nearly $6 million a day spent to influence our leaders. We really do have the best government money can buy.
Quote:
In both Republican and Democratic administrations, Congress has passed and sustained billions of dollars in royalty payments and subsidies to big oil companies; pushed through a corporate-written, consumer-crippling bankruptcy law; embraced the death of the estate tax; approved every free trade deal brought to a vote; and supported illegal immigration for the sake of cheap labor.
Here's the part I really like:
Quote:
So what if a majority of us decided once and for all to walk into our town and city halls all over the country and change our party affiliation from Republican or Democrat to independent? What if that sizable number of us who don't vote at all decided to register as independents? For the first time in decades, working middle-class Americans might just get the attention of our elected officials in Washington.

Our middle class has suffered in silence for far too long, and it cannot afford to suffer or be silent much longer. Hardworking Americans have not spoken out about their increasingly marginalized role in this society, and as a consequence they've all but lost their voice.

Rough Rider
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote