Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > World News

Notices

Old 09-13-2006, 12:55 AM   #16
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Some food for thought
Al,

1. The same way that they extract tiny amounts of DNA from a toothbrush
2. Luck? It happens. I once tossed a coke bottle out my car window and bounced and didn’t break and landed upright in the street. Just don’t ask me to do it again.
3. That one is easy – Physics. How fast does a housefly have to be traveling to hit a freight train head on and stop it? (answer: pretty darn close to the speed of light)
4. Like a bullet hole? The terrorists didn’t use hollow-point missiles. Did you expect a better mushroom effect or what?
5. Because the New Orleans police department was on duty that day? ;-)
6. Now come on, that one isn’t fair. There were not 70 human missile events or even simple hijacking events the year prior to 9/11, which is an event unique to human history. Who thinks to use babies and children and stewardesses as shrapnel inside of projectile missiles?
7. Arson for insurance purposes? Happens every day.
8. Landlords don’t know demo terminology
9. Spontaneous Human Combustion events seconds before the towers fell! It could happen!
10. They all play poker together on Tuesday nights.
11. CYA
12. I imagine that “mobbed up friends” probably own a lot of defense stocks. The CIA got a pass. Why? Because of the same reason that Northup/Gruman got a pass when Apollo 1 caught fire and burned up 3 astronauts. Their next version of the aircraft sent the first man to the moon. Nobody else could have built it. Too bad they aren’t perfect all the time.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:25 AM   #17
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
On one hand I feel like we should mind our own business, however, for good or for bad, once a "global economy" is in place and functioning, then worldwide events do become our business so to speak. We own land in other countries, and foreigners own land here, stocks, investments, and corporations as well. I'm not at all for "protectionism" but I'm also sick and tired of "offshoring" as you mention with computer jobs, but also radiology and call centers, and the list grows.

I don't have many answers, but at my core, I am for privatization, smaller government, lower taxes, tighter borders, capitalism, free markets, strong defence, so maybe I do watch Fox news too much! LOL Take care Rough Rider...
Yes I do agree.. once you reach a global economy, we're pretty much stuck with it. You mention free markets.. seems to me we get burned at every turn on this.. And this outsourcing of jobs just drives me crazy. Back when we sent all these jobs elsewhere like I don't what you'd call it.. making of clothes, shoes stuff like that, and lots of folks lost their jobs here when we did that.. We said "we'll train you to do better jobs, computer jobs" so these folks learn something else to do, get jobs at call centers, or computer programming and the like, and then BOOM off those jobs go. When I read that someone like IBM is laying off some 30,000 folks in the U.S. and then hiring some 20,000+ in India.. I'm like WTF ??

Privatization, yes, I agree.. not sure how much I agree when it's big business gaining profits from war though.. that bothers me.

Smaller Governments.. YES agreed.. Currently this is one of the biggest dang governments we've EVER HAD, one that is trying to take control, and make up it's own rules as it goes along. And is spending money faster than anything we've ever seen.

Lower Taxes.. YES agreed. But does it make good fiscal sense to do so in the middle of a "war on terror". I this administration has lowered taxes, where the most of us maybe got back $600 or the like (which got burned up with the price of oil right quick) to make us all "feel good" but the truth is the richest of the rich benefited the most. We even gave tax breaks to the freakin' OIL companies recently.. HELLO ? and Don't get me wrong I don't want the richest of the rich to pay more than their fare share, the Fire Department doesn't get to their house any faster than mine, and their water isn't any cleaner than mine.. I'm just sayin' lets be sensible.

Tighter more secure borders.. ABOSOLUTELY.

Strong Defense. You betcha!

Rough Rider
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:55 PM   #18
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rider
You mention free markets.. seems to me we get burned at every turn on this.. And this outsourcing of jobs just drives me crazy.
Funny thing is how the US taxpayer funded the invention of the Internet for decades through DARPA and other agencies, and now we are being beaten by our own stick in the case of offshoring and outsourcing jobs over the Internet. We gave one of our best inventions to the world. Same thing with Clinton supplying China with rocket technology that cost taxpayers lots of dough to develop over years. Sometimes I feel that the US taxpayer does more for some foreign nations than for Louisiana. Heck, give us some rocket technology! I would hope the people of Louisiana are more entitled than Iraq, India, Israel, China, and so on. And why aren’t our other 49 states more concerned for the last place looser in almost every category of life (including life itself) Oh we are 49th, not 50th in terms of lifespan, the 50th position belongs to Mississippi this year in the latest report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rider
like IBM is laying off some 30,000 folks in the U.S. and then hiring some 20,000+ in India.. I'm like WTF ??
I called Chase bank (mortgage dept) the other day because they stopped paying my homeowners insurance for some reason, and I could barely understand the Indian call center agent on the other side of the world. All I could understand was “We haven’t paid in 16 months. Your insurance company never sent us a bill”…. In the words of Dr. Evil… Riiiiiiiggghhht…
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote