Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Technology

Notices

Old 03-06-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Are We Drowning In Data?

Gantz ultimately calculated that 161 exabytes of digital data — or about 161 billion GB — were generated in 2006. And the amount is expected to rise fast.

sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Yes we are !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl_admin
Gantz ultimately calculated that 161 exabytes of digital data — or about 161 billion GB — were generated in 2006. And the amount is expected to rise fast.
This very computer I type on is dehumanizing man kind. We sit in our offices or homes and live thru a screen like a lab rat. We think we are advanced and so smart and I count myself in that we part. I have to wonder if I have the matrix or the matrix has me
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
That's a lot of data! But how is that figure calculated? I'd think such a thing would be impossible to figure out. Millions of GB of data is copied via the Internet daily. How can someone possibly keep up with it all?
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
This very computer I type on is dehumanizing man kind. We sit in our offices or homes and live thru a screen like a lab rat. We think we are advanced and so smart and I count myself in that we part. I have to wonder if I have the matrix or the matrix has me
Isaac

You know there's a whole world out there.....and I mean this in the most sincere way. Have you even left your house today?
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Lol! I will admit that there are days when I don't leave the house at all if I don't have to. I've always been somewhat hermetic. I'm perfectly content just staying at home and reading much of the time. I like to read educational materials, watch documentaries, and I write about various topics on my spare time.

I am aware that there is a world outside, but it's just not important to me to actually see it yet. Besides, I've seen the world once already.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Here is the deal BrainSmashR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
You know there's a whole world out there.....and I mean this in the most sincere way. Have you even left your house today?
You want to be respectful to me and I will do the same for you. In the future if you become condescending and rude I will not reply to your post. In turn I will treat you with respect and yes we can disagree but the bomb throwing can stop or I will not reply to your post. I am saying this for the respect of all that view this site and for you. I have traveled quite a bit in my life seen many places both in and out of the USA. I am in to both secular history and Biblical history and science that backs those up. I love to read and the Bible is #1 on my list but I cover quite a few authors. I have a degree in Journalism and a minor in History from LA Tech and 24 years of running my own business. I am posting on this site because I know some by name and have met others I like. I apologize for doing some mean spirited comments myself and in the future lets take the high road of respect for us and the many that view this site.
Isaac
Old 03-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
These have just been some of the most beautiful days here lately...such a waste! To be unencumbered with responsibility and obligation again, footloose and fancyfree eh...how wonderful that would be! Seems like it was just the other day I was telling my son how much he and the younger generations have missed out on the simpler times...now we all walk around with these tiny phones on our persons, like something out of Star Trek...the technology is incredible, but everything has it's price doesnt it? I often think of all the technological miracles that'll surely become commonplace after I'm dead and buried and I wish for immortality, for all of us. But thats just wishful thinkin...so lets all try to live for today. Take some time to just breath in the cool fresh air and enjoy the gift that is everyday above ground. Commune with nature whenever the opportunity presents.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #8
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Al I could not agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
These have just been some of the most beautiful days here lately...such a waste! To be unencumbered with responsibility and obligation again, footloose and fancyfree eh...how wonderful that would be! Seems like it was just the other day I was telling my son how much he and the younger generations have missed out on the simpler times...now we all walk around with these tiny phones on our persons, like something out of Star Trek...the technology is incredible, but everything has it's price doesnt it? I often think of all the technological miracles that'll surely become commonplace after I'm dead and buried and I wish for immortality, for all of us. But thats just wishful thinkin...so lets all try to live for today. Take some time to just breath in the cool fresh air and enjoy the gift that is everyday above ground. Commune with nature whenever the opportunity presents.
Plan for the future and live every day like it is your last. I too wish all souls go to Heaven and in time we will know what the change is like but for now let us enjoy our each and every day.
Isaac
Old 03-07-2007, 07:12 AM   #9
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
You want to be respectful to me and I will do the same for you. In the future if you become condescending and rude I will not reply to your post. In turn I will treat you with respect and yes we can disagree but the bomb throwing can stop or I will not reply to your post. I am saying this for the respect of all that view this site and for you. I have traveled quite a bit in my life seen many places both in and out of the USA. I am in to both secular history and Biblical history and science that backs those up. I love to read and the Bible is #1 on my list but I cover quite a few authors. I have a degree in Journalism and a minor in History from LA Tech and 24 years of running my own business. I am posting on this site because I know some by name and have met others I like. I apologize for doing some mean spirited comments myself and in the future lets take the high road of respect for us and the many that view this site.
Isaac
You didn't answer the question....although I feel I got my answer by reading between the lines.

You stated that the computer is dehumanizing mankind and I asked if you had left your house today. That's like blaming the water on your drowning when all you had to do was swim.

You see, none of your past accomplishments will make up for spending all day at the PC while the world passes you by.....
Old 03-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #10
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Lol! I will admit that there are days when I don't leave the house at all if I don't have to. I've always been somewhat hermetic. I'm perfectly content just staying at home and reading much of the time. I like to read educational materials, watch documentaries, and I write about various topics on my spare time.

I am aware that there is a world outside, but it's just not important to me to actually see it yet. Besides, I've seen the world once already.
You're young, and that's ok.

Now I certainly didn't mean you should travel the globe....what I meant is that if you are feeling down, depressed with the state of the world, or that the PC is "dehumanizing mankind", then it's time for you to go outside and walk around the block a couple of times.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #11
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

I did spend 6 months in the Med in 2001. If you ever get the chance to eat a real Italian pizza, pass on that. They're awful!

I don't think technology is dehumanizing. Technology is, in my humble opinion, just another way for mankind to chase immortality.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
I did spend 6 months in the Med in 2001. If you ever get the chance to eat a real Italian pizza, pass on that. They're awful!

I don't think technology is dehumanizing. Technology is, in my humble opinion, just another way for mankind to chase immortality.
Yeah, I had heard that our idea of pizza wasn't even close to the Italian version.

Interesting take on technology though.....I always considered technology to be an extension of man, but I can easily see your point of view as well.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #13
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Interesting take on technology though.....I always considered technology to be an extension of man, but I can easily see your point of view as well.
Right! The purpose of technology is to make life easier for man, but think far into the future. If we were to design a machine, in later centuries, that made life so easy that it eliminated all disease, death, and suffering of any kind (including such minor suffering as simple inconveniences), then what would be left of man? Man would have mastered the world and how to manipulate it to suit our own needs. Man will have mastered space, area, time, physical composition, EVERYTHING. With that, man would no longer be man. Our physical bodies would be as malleable as any other element on our Earth.

In this respect, you could call it "dehumanizing" in the respect that technology would eventually make us something other than humanity. Whether that something is above or below humanity remains to be seen.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
BrainSmashR
Banned

1 million years ago we didn't look like we do today, therefore it's absurd to think 1 million years in the future that we will still look the same. Of course we will still be human, but we may not be homo sapiens sapiens.

Then of course there's the obvious, did the taming of the horse or the invention of the automobile make our legs useless even though those inventions greatly reduced our need of them?

What I'm getting at is that dehumanization is the deprivation of human qualities, not the evolution of human qualities.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #15
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

I see. In that respect, I agree. Technology doesn't dehumanize. Although, I will say that technology has made us somewhat more lazy. We've got toilets that can flush themselves now.