Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Government & Politics

Notices

Old 02-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Iraq Vet Dies After VA Turns Its Back

I'll tell you right now.. regardless of my opinions on this Iraq war.. regardless of anyone's opinion on ANY war.. I feel that we as a country owe our eternal gratitude to ANY ONE who has served this country in any shape or form, regardless of what branch of the military they served in. We owe them all a life time of gratitude. I hold the deepest respect for any man or woman willing to lay down their life for their country. And sometimes the way we treat these fine men and women when they come back from combat.. is simply disgusting.

Found this article on the web "Young Marine Dies of PTSD - And Neglect"

I know of a few young men living right here in the Ark-La-Tex who have come back from Iraq, and they may never be the same again as a result of the things they seen and done.. I hope they receive better care than this poor guy.. some of the article is below:

Quote:
Jonathan Schulze was a United States Marine.

He died earlier this month at the age of 25 -- not in Iraq, but back home, in Minnesota.

He died of wounds received during his seven-month tour of duty in Iraq, wounds different from the ones that earned Schulze two purple hearts. This young man died of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, of wounds to the soul and not the flesh. He died because the government that was there to send him far away to fight in 2004 wasn't there for him when he got home.

Schulze had a harrowing time in Iraq, spending time in the heated battles of Ramadi in April, 2004. While he was there, 35 Marines in his unit were killed, including 17 of them in just 48 hours of combat.

The young Marine was wounded twice in battle but returned home to rebuild his life and to cope with the things he had seen, things he had done and friends he had lost. But, by the time he was discharged from the Marines in late 2005, he was deeply troubled with images of combat and violence that he could not get out of his mind.

According to Minnesota press reports, Schulze went to the Veterans Administration (VA) center in Minneapolis on December 14, 2006, met with a psychiatrist and was told that he could only be admitted for treatment four months later, in March.

On January 11, 2007, accompanied by his parents, he went to the VA hospital in St. Cloud, Minnesota and told people at that VA facility that he was thinking of killing himself. They told Schulze that they could not admit him as a patient and sent him on his way.

The next day, January 12, Schulze called the VA, reiterating that he was feeling suicidal. He was told that he was number 26 on the waiting list.

A man who had risked his life in Iraq and done everything that was asked of him by the United States government, was told by that same government that his sacrifice would be repaid by being 26th on a list of Veterans similarly crying out for help.

"Jonathan wanted help so bad," said Marianne Schulze, Jonathan's stepmother. "At the end of the conversation, Jonathan got off the phone so distressed."

On January 16, Schulze called his family and told them that he was going to do it -- he was going to kill himself. His family called the local police, who raced to his house, kicked in his door and found him hanging from an electrical cord.

Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.
there's more to the article here

God Bless Our Troops !

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
--Sir Winston Churchill
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Thanks for the post there RR. We should never forget how high the price of war really is. I know Vietnam vets who are still suffering from their experience after all these years. I'm sure this war is no different from that regard.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rider
I'll tell you right now.. regardless of my opinions on this Iraq war.. regardless of anyone's opinion on ANY war.. I feel that we as a country owe our eternal gratitude to ANY ONE who has served this country in any shape or form, regardless of what branch of the military they served in. We owe them all a life time of gratitude. I hold the deepest respect for any man or woman willing to lay down their life for their country.

Well said there Rough Rider and I agree 100%.
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote