Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > World News

Notices

Old 08-29-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Terrorist Groups Are 'Actively Manipulating' The United States Media

Donald Rumsfeld, Defense Secretary, said Islamic extremist groups are trying to undermine Western support for the war on terror.
FOX_News
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Shreveopolis

Rep Power: 0 Shreveopolis will become famous soon enough Shreveopolis will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl_admin
Donald Rumsfeld, Defense Secretary, said Islamic extremist groups are trying to undermine Western support for the war on terror.
What undermines my support for the war in Iraq ?? the cost in money, lives and the little prospect of anything good ever coming out of it. Pick your reason why we're over there, I think the last one was to 'spread democracy'. Personally I feel it's a madhouse over there, and the second we are gone from there, someone else will try to take over.
God bless our troops, and I pray for their safe return.
Shreveopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Mudbug

Rep Power: 0 Mudbug is on a distinguished road Mudbug is on a distinguished road
whatever excuse works best for you, Rummy. A good portion of this debacle rests with you, so wherever you feel you can deflect blame, go right ahead. Those of us that aren't blind to the current administration's inadequacies will see right through it.

Of course I'm sure Fox News doesn't fall into the terrorist's trap...

Last edited by Mudbug; 08-29-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
windshop

Rep Power: 0 windshop will become famous soon enough windshop will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to windshop
Are We West of the Mess?

Unfortunately the media has many viewers that seem to love to lap up all the bad news. Stories about terrorists, hurricanes, car wrecks, and the war seem to fuel the beast. The constant intimidation that the consumption of this kind of news causes is great for the drug companies and likely the administrations agenda to keep us paranoid, but it is brutal on the mind.

Don't blame the media for covering a story. Blame those of us that watch, listen, and read the propaganda that Washington wants us to consume. I know she was a cute little girl, but is there any one out there wishes Jon Bennet would just go away?

To stay healthy, do what I do...Read only the Travel section of The New York Times, listen only to Mozart, and when the desire is just too great to overcome, watch Baywatch reruns.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by windshop
Don't blame the media for covering a story. Blame those of us that watch, listen, and read the propaganda that Washington wants us to consume. I know she was a cute little girl, but is there any one out there wishes Jon Bennet would just go away?
What passes for news these days just cracks me up. Whether something trivial, and apparently not even correct as far as this Jon Bennet story goes.. or it's going on and on about 'possible' terrorist threats or failed terrorist attempts.. it's almost as if the media is doing the jobs of the terrorist.. if that job is to attempt to disrupt us from our normal lives and put fear in the mind.

Should we go after Bin Laden and the like.. oh absolutely! Couldn't we just send in some special forces, or agents or the like and just take him out. Who says it even has to make the news. He could just disappear.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
windshop

Rep Power: 0 windshop will become famous soon enough windshop will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to windshop
Terrorist? What Terrorists!

We can now set our watch as to when the next terrorist threat will occur. Just Watch...Next time a poll comes out showing how many House and Senate seats that the Republicans are likely to lose in November, Check the news the next morning.

"And in the latest election news, Democrats will be retaking the House and possibly the Senate next year...Wait, Wait...This just in.... Bin Laden, wearing a bad Elvis costume, has been caught at Heathrow with a gallon of baby formula trying to board a plane to America!"
Old 08-29-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by windshop
We can now set our watch as to when the next terrorist threat will occur. Just Watch...Next time a poll comes out showing how many House and Senate seats that the Republicans are likely to lose in November, Check the news the next morning.

"And in the latest election news, Democrats will be retaking the House and possibly the Senate next year...Wait, Wait...This just in.... Bin Laden, wearing a bad Elvis costume, has been caught at Heathrow with a gallon of baby formula trying to board a plane to America!"
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:48 PM   #8
Mudbug

Rep Power: 0 Mudbug is on a distinguished road Mudbug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
As long as the current flock is in power, you'll never see that scale dip into the blue or green. Never.

Terrorism is a tool, just like a hammer. And our current administration is really good at using tools.
Mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:11 PM   #9
Bob
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 221 Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice
From my point of view, the turn of the century has just really sucked !
I don't know yet who's gonna be runnin' for President this next time around. But personally I'm looking for the whole lot to be gone and starting a new.

The current state of affairs just baffles me to no end, and scares me at times.. and it ain't the "terrorist" that scare me the most.

Bob.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #10
Bob
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 221 Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice
Edward R. Murrow (1954):
Quote:
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty, We must remember always that accusation is not proof, and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law.

We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate, and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular.”

And so good night, and good luck.

Herman Goering cited in the "Nurnberg diaries"

Quote:
"Why, of course, the people don't want war," Goering shrugged. "Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece. Naturally, the common people don't want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship."
"There is one difference," I pointed out. "In a democracy the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars."
"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Last edited by Bob; 09-01-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #11
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Unfortunately, in many ways, the war on terrorism reminds me of the war on drugs. Both seem unwinnable without becoming a facist state ourselves. Life used to be so simple and "black and white" in the 40's and decades later with "good guys and bad guys" whereas nowadays the enemy is so much more ellusive without any uniform to identify individuals.

This may not be logical, however I lost a relative to a car accident years ago. I know that over 30,000 people are killed each year on US highways and roads. Even though I have reasons to feel otherwise, I would not want to live in a country with 0 car accidents. Life is all about risk, or more accurately, a balance between risk and comfort. I do not want to live in a 100% safe world because I wish to live, period! Peace and Happiness to all!! (can't blame me for wishing)
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:56 AM   #12
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Who was it who said "The Revolution will not be televised" ?

Somebody stop the madness.
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:00 PM   #13
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rider
Who was it who said "The Revolution will not be televised" ?

Somebody stop the madness.
RR, you completely lost me there buddy.. Please explain.. (sorry if I'm being a dunce)
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote