Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-28-2007, 11:26 PM   #76
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
It is extremely stressful for a young family. So Al what do you think of the ones who end up abusing their spouse? Can anything be done by the military to stop this among their personal?
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:48 PM   #77
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
It is extremely stressful for a young family. So Al what do you think of the ones who end up abusing their spouse? Can anything be done by the military to stop this among their personal?

YOu can report it to his 1st sargeant? I can't recall what its called but whomever his boss is yes you can and yes they have to take action on the report. They can get in major trouble for not taking action on that type of report.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:16 AM   #78
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
As I said, spousal abuse is unconscionably criminal! As Scarlett said, the abused spouse can report the servicemember to the chain-o-command, the local police, or both. Perhaps the most effective thing the military could do to reduce the incidence of spousal abuse would be to honestly explain the inherent incompatibility of military service with family stability to potential recruits. It might go something like this at the recruiter's office...

recruiter:"so, you're thinking about joining the service?"
potential recruit: "yeah..Im looking for a life of adventure!"
recruiter: "are you married?"
potential recruit: "why yes, I am."
recruiter: "wanna stay that way?"
potential recruit: "...uh..."
recruiter: "come back and see us when you're single again."

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 03-29-2007 at 12:55 AM.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:52 AM   #79
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
As I said, spousal abuse is unconscionably criminal! As Scarlett said, the abused spouse can report the servicemember to the chain-o-command, the local police, or both. Perhaps the most effective thing the military could do to reduce the incidence of spousal abuse would be to honestly explain the inherent incompatibility of military service with family stability to potential recruits. It might go something like this at the recruiter's office...

recruiter:"so, you're thinking about joining the service?"
potential recruit: "yeah..Im looking for a life of adventure!"
recruiter: "are you married?"
potential recruit: "why yes, I am."
recruiter: "wanna stay that way?"
potential recruit: "...uh..."
recruiter: "come back and see us when you're single again."
Amen! I however don't see recruiters being that honest. They will say anything to get a recruit which is what I witnessed. I don't see the situation changing at all within the military which is sad. I know I would be greatly sadden if my daughter wanted to marry someone in the military. So far she has military personnel, dentists, police officers, and truck drivers off her lists!
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:07 AM   #80
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
Amen! I however don't see recruiters being that honest. They will say anything to get a recruit which is what I witnessed. I don't see the situation changing at all within the military which is sad. I know I would be greatly sadden if my daughter wanted to marry someone in the military. So far she has military personnel, dentists, police officers, and truck drivers off her lists!

I have a story w/ this one that happened just 6 wks ago i'll reply later today to tell you about it i have quite a bit of work to do so I can't type it all now
Old 03-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #81
scarlett
Advanced Member

I have a friend who's b/f is in the coast guard and he has been in for 16 yrs. Basically the guy was recruiting (after hours at his home) and the guys got to drinking and went outside. My friend was in a room where she could hear the guys talking and there was a comment made about her 15 yr old growing chest. This really pissed off my friend as I think it would anyone w/ a daughter and she made a call to his boss which she said she really didn't know this would cause a problem, but they were ALL Friends! Well she called the boss and told him what he did and it was for advice if anything. YOU MUST KNOW MY FRIEND! Well the guy tells her that she put him on a spot and he had to actually had to follow up with it. AND HE DID! There were rules broken with the recruiting and well this incident and things haven't been the same with the boss and him since that day.

My fiance was reported for something he didn't do 10 yrs ago and they did talk to him about it but the guy made up some crazy **** i am not kidding. My fiance is NOT VIOLENT and the guy said he told his wife he was giong to cut her head off w/ a chain saw or something. It was nuts. His boss definitely did follow up believe me they don't take threats or things like that lightly.

ALso if you are not paying your bills they send you to classes for this. I hate the military more than you will know but they do seem to take action on the few things I know about.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #82
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Amen! I however don't see recruiters being that honest. They will say anything to get a recruit which is what I witnessed. I don't see the situation changing at all within the military which is sad.
That's exactly what they do. Recruiters do not hesitate to lie if it will get you in the military. Every recruiter has a monthly quota they must meet. I couldn't be a recruiter myself. I'd be so honest that I'd never meet the quota.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #83
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
That's exactly what they do. Recruiters do not hesitate to lie if it will get you in the military. Every recruiter has a monthly quota they must meet. I couldn't be a recruiter myself. I'd be so honest that I'd never meet the quota.
A very, VERY small portion of all recruiters lie. In the first place, there hasnt been a draft in a coon's age, so the folks who walk thru those recruiting station doors are doing so of their own volition. My recruiter NEVER lied to me...he didnt have to. And I still remember the man's name. I enlisted in March of '88, and I STILL remember his name. When the cattlecar doors opened at the basic training unit, and the drills started greetin everyone, and the guy standin behind me **** his pants, it wasnt my recruiter I silently cursed, but myself.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #84
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
My recruiter NEVER lied to me...he didnt have to. And I still remember the man's name. I enlisted in March of '88, and I STILL remember his name. When the cattlecar doors opened at the basic training unit, and the drills started greetin everyone, and the guy standin behind me **** his pants, it wasnt my recruiter I silently cursed, but myself.
Sounds like the opening to a good book.

So I see the title of this thread. But has anyone here nominated up someone yet ? So who's got what it takes to run this country ?

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
--Sir Winston Churchill
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote